Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Smarty Mom: Allison McBride


By Rachel H

I am so happy to introduce Allison to you today. Allison works full-time at Wake Forest Health Sciences and is involved in teaching at the medical center both in medical student education and training pediatric and emergency medicine residents. She is a Pediatric Hospitalist and Pediatric Emergency Medicine doctor. She was nominated today by the mother of one of her patients, Bennett Martin. Allison knows that she is the doctor that you hope your kids will never need, but she hopes to make your experience smoother for parents and children alike. Deborah Martin was so touched by the care given to her son, Bennett, by Dr. McBride and she wanted everyone to know that this woman is not only a fabulous doctor, but a “smarty” mom as well.

Allison is married to Ed, and they have lived in the Triad since 2005 after moving from Nashville, TN. They have two children, Patrick(6) and Andrew(3). Allison is a native of Asheville, NC and still enjoys spending time in the mountains, hiking and going for picnics. She has loved taking the boys to some of her favorite spots in the mountains and on the coast as well. Her favorite activity is sailing! With her role in the Pediatric Emergency Room at Brenner, she is also a big advocate of patient safety, and recently submitted an article for publication that discusses the dangers of ATV's for kids, and North Carolina's recent laws to protect children. The article will be published later this year.

Let’s get to know Allison …

How are you able to balance your career and home life?
My husband and I balance our careers and family life by coordinating our schedules. We have found it so important to plan ahead, literally laying out our calendars and making sure to minimize the time that both of us are away from home. I have to say I have been blessed that work has been sensitive to family as well and my schedule has some flexibility to it.

What tips do you have for other working moms in your position?
When I became a mom, a co-worker told me to "accept chaos" (especially when I had my second child) and learn to let things go. That advice has served me well, though it took some practice. I keep a "to-do" list that keeps things like helping my kids remember show-and-tell as well as meetings and doctors appointments. I hate to say it by having my calendar and to-do list on my “smart” phone has helped as well.

Being in your line of work, do you think it makes you more protective or more laid-back about dangerous situations your children put themselves in?
I get asked that a lot and I think I am more laid back about illnesses in general, but I have seen some horrible things that most parents are fortunate enough not to even consider. Because of this, I have to remind myself about not being over-protective with my boys. Being active boys, I suspect we will have a broken bone and a few stitches as they grow up, but I try to keep them from truly hazardous activities and try to teach them to make smart decisions.

What has been the most rewarding part of your job?
It is hard to pick just one area, since my job encompasses so many. In patient care, I enjoy satisfying parents' concerns and fears while making their children the smiling happy children they should be. I do love teaching, and there is no greater reward than "paying it forward," recruiting great people into medicine and specifically pediatrics.

What is your favorite family activity?
We enjoy playing all sorts of games together, both outside sports activities and board and card games.

What is the smartiest way you save money?
Making coffee at home (rather than spending $4 a day) and packing meals for work and school are two of the easier ones. We are blessed with hand-me-downs from cousins which is wonderful too! We have also learned that “going green” can save money too –like using a re-usable container for drinks rather than buying a bottled water for example.

Favorite “me-time” activity?
Being a mom makes “me-time” even more precious, doesn’t it? I have to remind myself to take time for myself and am always grateful when I do. I enjoy reading (fiction), going for walks, talking to friends, etc.

Favorite place to eat dinner as a family?
River Birch Lodge

Favorite date night spot?
Christopher's

Favorite book you have read?
Eat, Pray, Love; The Help; Change of Heart; Love (Toni Morrison) and Sea Glass (Anita Shreve) to name a few --- clearly joining the library was a money saver for me, too!

Best place to eat lunch with the kids?
Twin City Diner

Favorite place to shop for children’s clothes?
Target; Land's End(Sears)

What is your favorite mom’s must have item for around the house?
Dustbuster

Mini-van or SUV?
Cross-over

Favorite park in the Triad?
Fourth of July Park in Kernersville

Favorite or most helpful blog you have read on Triad Smarty Pants thus far?
Summer Camp directory - I can never keep that straight and tend to think about it too late. Blogs about family friendly (and money-saving) restaurants and activities always catch my attention.

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad?
We love the Triad because everything we need and want to do is right here but still with a good small town friendliness.

I could not live without my... family.

It is not hard to see why Deborah nominated you as a Smarty Mom, Allison! We thank you for your answers!

If you want to nominate a mom or dad to be featured on our site, email us at triadsmartypants@gmail.com!

4 comments:

Allison T. said...

So excited to see you as a Smarty Mom, Allison! Loved reading profile!

Gina said...

I could not agree more with the "accept chaos" tip! I have four children and have learned over the years that the things I used to think were important are not at all. Enjoy life, enjoy your kids, and it truly is OK if they are not wearing the shoes you wanted them to or if they didn't eat their veggies tonight!

Gina

Anonymous said...

A well-deserved honor for Allison today! What an incredible family.

Allison Greiner said...

I am so excited to see one of my dearest friends from childhood and adulthood recognized on this site!

Post a Comment