Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Smarty Mom: Melissa Maltzahn


By Rachel H

I am happy to introduce Melissa Maltzahn as this Saturday’s Smarty Mom. I met Melissa when a mutual friend gave me her name as someone who does embroidery. She was extremely down-to-earth and friendly from the moment I met her. About five bibs, three headbands, two towels, two purses, and a burp cloth later … I got to know Melissa much better and discovered she really is a very Smarty Mom!

Melissa and her husband Robert have lived in the Triad about 14 years. They have three beautiful children. Lauren is 11, McKenna is 8, and Ellie is 6. Melissa works part-time as an RN at Hawthorne OB/Gyn Associates. Three years ago she started her home business of monogramming and sewing. Her work is incredible! She now embroiders for three local boutiques, as well as customers of her own.

Let’s get Smarty with Melissa!

How did you go about starting your own business and getting your name out to customers? Do you have any advice for other moms wanting to do the same?
I started sewing purses that I thought were cute and decided to sell some at work, then at Note Worthy. Things have just slowly grown from there. My own customers have mostly grown by word of mouth. I really don't have a mind for business- I just love to sew :) I guess my best advice would be do something you love.

How do you balance your work and home life?
I am so lucky to have a job that is only two days a week! It is actually my "break" because the work I do at home is much more challenging!

What Smarty tips do you have for other moms in your position?
Being a mom is definitely one of those situations that you have to experience to truly know! No matter how much your friends and family tell you! I remember how anxious I was with my first daughter- wanting to do everything "right." The best thing that has changed for me being a mom of three now is not taking myself too seriously. That is saying a lot for a type A like myself! When it comes to messy rooms, crumbs on the floor, sleepovers that I know will cause crankiness the next day but she really wants to do it - I try to ask myself does this really matter? For me, being more "go with the flow" and not too uptight (even when that is what I am really feeling!) makes me a better mom! That's all I can ask for.

Favorite place to get a good deal on kids clothes?
Gap Kids- sale rack, Children's Place, ETC consignment.

What is your favorite family activity?
Playing games and going to the movies.

Favorite "mommy-time" activity?
Women's Wednesday morning Bible study, dinner out with friends and facials at Utopia (very luxurious- I have only done this twice- but it was wonderful).

Best place to eat lunch with the kids?
Chick-fil-a

Favorite place to eat dinner out with the kids?
Jason's Deli- they have some healthy options for kids and free ice cream cones!

Funniest thing your kid(s) has ever said?
Of course, it’s hard to pick just one thing, but when my middle daughter was about six she told me very seriously that she was going to give up turtlenecks for Lent.

Favorite park in the Triad?
Not a park but our neighborhood pool is our favorite place to go almost every day during the summer!

Mini-van or SUV?
Mini van

Favorite book you have recently read?
I love reading!! My all time favorite book is Red Tent by Anita Diamante. I am in a book club that is presently reading the Twilight series. I have been SO surprised that I like it! That is the great thing about book club - reading books you would never read on your own.

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad?
Location and small town feel with big town options.

Best kept secret in the Triad?
St. John's Lutheran School. It is a great small school! It starts at three years with a preschool program (either half or whole day) thru 8th grade. There is only one class of each grade so all the kids stay together. It feels like family! All the parents also know each other- some of the teachers have or have had their own kids there - they truly love the kids. They have great academics, sports, drama- all the kids participate in programs which gives a taste of public speaking. Above all it is all centered around the Lord and His love for us all! I really can't say enough about how wonderful and positive the environment is. Another plus is for a private school it is not super expensive.

Best birthday party you have attended?
For my middle daughter’s last party we had a daytime slumber party. All the kids wore PJs - we decorated pillow cases, made ice cream sundaes, played games and watched a movie - then everyone went home!

I could not live without my...
Lord, family, friends and chocolate!

I wish someone had told me sooner about...
Facebook.

Thanks, Melissa for all your Smarty answers!

We are always on the hunt for Smarty Moms. And while we've been featuring some moms who have done AMAZING things such as going above-and-beyond the call of duty for others, doing incredible work for her family, friends, or community, or has accomplished tremendous feats - we are also looking to feature moms in the Triad who just simply live the daily grit of motherhood! Please send us your "mominations" and feel free to nominate yourself (especially if you are a mompreneur with a great service or product to promote)! We look forward to hearing from you. Email us here with your “Smarty Momination”!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

I love the slumber birthday party. Can you tell me what you used to decorate the pillow cases? I think my girls would really enjoy that!

Anonymous said...

Melissa is extremely talented and fun to work with! She is a VERY smarty mom.

Gina Pruette said...

Melissa is a wonderful neighbor and truly gifted embroidery artist! I'm so glad she's being featured as a Smarty Mom! :D

Kate said...

I love the slumber party idea! I'd love to know how we can get in touch with Melissa for embroidery monogramming!!

Rachel H said...

Kate - email us at triadsmartypants@gmail.com and we will give you Melissa's contact information!

Melissa Maltzahn said...

Melanie- We used crayons for fabric (AC Moore). The girls colored what ever they wanted on paper then I ironed it on while they watched the movie.
FYI- if they have any words they need to be mirror image.

Post a Comment