Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2009

What I Didn't Do the Second Time Around












By Jenny D., Charlotte Smarty Pants




I just had a beautiful baby girl, Annie, in September. Three years and one week after my first girl, Zoe. And the second go around, I noticed that I did things a little differently, actually there were some things that I didn’t do at all.

With Annie, I didn’t worry about all of the gear. I used a diaper bag for about 4 weeks, but it was half the size of my first one, and all I included was a couple of diapers, wipes, and changing pad. With Zoe, I had enough stuff to last us through the weekend if I ever got stranded at the mall for that long.


I don’t worry about schedules. Annie slept through the night early on, but now she has decided to wake up at 3:00 in the morning. With Zoe, I would have been worried that I was doing something wrong, but this time, although I am exhausted, I love seeing her smile at me when I give her a bottle in the middle of the night.

I don’t worry about keeping the house so quiet during naptime. When Zoe was a baby, you could hear a pin drop anytime she was asleep. You quickly realize that it is virtually impossible to get your older child to be quiet when the baby is sleeping, so your newborn learns to sleep through anything.

I guess I just don’t worry as much overall. And it shows. Annie is a laid back baby, and I am sure that it has something to do with the fact that I am more relaxed. And because of it, I have enjoyed every minute of the newborn stage. Having gone through it once before, I am aware of how quickly they change, so instead of wondering when I am going to get my life back, I just sit and stare at her happy little face as much as I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the second baby is easier simply because you don't feel so panicked that you will do something wrong. I felt more competent and confident with my second baby. I knew that as long as he was fed, dry, clean, loved, and didn't cry too much, I was doing most things right. He is now a happy and well-adjusted two year old. He also is more independent than his older brother because he has to be.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! I just had baby #3 and I am loving having a newborn again. I am not worrying at all about her crazy flip-flopped schedule. I'm just enjoying her presence.

Post a Comment