Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Smarty Mom: Carla W


By Katie M

Smarties, it’s my pleasure to introduce Carla W as this week’s Smarty Mom. Carla was “mominated” by a friend of mine, and although I don’t know Carla personally, I have certainly seen this fitness extraordinaire at the YMCA many times, and know she is regarded highly by friends and fitness companions alike.

Carla and her husband Brad have an adorable little girl, Addison (2), and another one on the way this May! After moving to the Triad two years ago, Carla stays at home with her daughter but also works part-time teaching aerobics classes and coaching running groups at the Central YMCA. Her goal is to run a marathon before, after, and in between the births of her children. You go girl! She is also a member of the Resident Spouses Association (RSA) for Wake Forest University Baptist Hospital where she coordinates meals and fund raisers for the Ronald McDonald House. On top of all this, Carla enjoys cooking, baking, and sewing fun things for Addison.

So, let’s get Smarty with Carla.

What Smarty tips do you have for other moms?
Try out cloth diapering. It is MUCH easier than you think and can save you $1000’s of dollars, even with just one kid.

Also, I’m a huge fan of a dinner menu. Write down 30 of your favorite things to eat/cook and put them on your calendar. In 5 minutes you have decided what you will fix for dinner every night for a month. No wondering what to get at the grocery store or “what to do for dinner.’ It will save you loads of money, cut down on time and keep you from eating the same things over and over again. Then next month just repeat the same things and never have to think about it again. In time you can streamline things more with buying in bulk when you know you will be using a lot of one item and cooking large quantities (grounding up an extra pound or 2 of turkey for the 3 ground meat based dinners later on in the week).

What is the one - or few - things you wished someone told you about sooner?
To treat “being a mom” just like any other job. When Addison was first born I would get so frustrated that I could not take a shower whenever I wanted, or run up to the mall when I wanted and then it finally dawned on me that being her mom is my job and none of those personal things fit into that job. So just like with any job, if I want to shower during the day, I need to do it before work (wake up early). If I want to go to the mall, plan it out. When I worked in the “real” world I could only find time to go once a month. I’m sure my daughter would love to do other things than go to the mall once a week. I’m not saying you can’t find time for yourself during the week because I know longer have an 8-5 job and weekends off. But my primary job is to be her mom, teach her fun things, and love on her.

As she has grown from an infant to a toddler our schedule has changed. I have to do a lot of errands with her now but I do try and realize that my job is her and not my list of things to do with Addison tagging along.

What is your favorite place to get a good deal on kids clothes?
Make them yourself! Or if I’m buying them, Gymboree has great sales.

What is your favorite family activity?
I like when we all play in the backyard together or go hiking.

Favorite “mommy-time” activity?
I think I like “mommy-time” a little too much because I can’t pick one J My weekly Bible Studies. In the summer I love to wake up before anyone else in the house and run while it is cool and quiet, I wish that happened more frequently. I think sewing is really great way to relieve stress and use your creativity.

Best place to eat lunch with the kids?
Chick-Fil-A

Favorite place to eat dinner out with the kids?
That rarely happens but if it does, PF Chang’s or Cheesecake Factory. They really go out of their way for kids.

Favorite park in the Triad?
Miller Park (in Ardmore neighborhood of Winston-Salem)

Mini-van or SUV?
SUV

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad?
Very family-friendly with quite a few parks.

Best kept secret in the Triad?
There is a great little miniature golf place called Jimmy Mac’s Golf Range.

Best birthday party you have attended?
We had Addison’s 2 birthday party at Salem Gymnastics and had a blast!

I could not live without my...
My 15 minutes quiet times that somehow allow me to get so much more done that day and stay calm doing it. And my Blackberry. How else can you stay organized?!? And the YMCA. An hour to workout and know your kids are having a great time all at the same time…priceless!

Thanks, Carla for all your Smarty answers!

We are always on the hunt for Smarty Moms. And while we've been featuring some moms who have done AMAZING things such as going above-and-beyond the call of duty for others, doing incredible work for her family, friends, or community, or has accomplished tremendous feats - we are also looking to feature moms in the Triad who just simply live the daily grit of motherhood! Please send us your "mominations" and feel free to nominate yourself (especially if you are a mompreneur with a great service or product to promote)! We look forward to hearing from you. Email us here with your “Smarty Momination”!

And don't forget to enter our Smarty Give Away to win a free Big Bang Boom gig! Click here to take a short survey and enter this Smarty Give-Away contest! Remember, you must be a TriadSmartyPants newsletter subscriber to enter! If you win, Big Bang Boom band will play for your next event for free!!! Good luck! What a wonderful prize to win! This promotion ends Monday, March 9.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carla, I love your 30 dinners idea. Now if I could just control myself to actually eat at home all 30 days and not talk my husband into going out for dinner ...

Anonymous said...

You've got a great looking family! Congrats on all of your accomplishments.

Heather said...

Carla really is all this and more. She always had a smile at Gymboree and has sewn a fabulous outfit for my daughter. She is super talented and has lots of smarty pants ideas!

Post a Comment