Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Smarty Mom – Stephanie Dillon


By Rachel H

I am happy to introduce Stephanie Dillon as this week’s Smarty Mom. I have loved her since the moment I met her many years ago at Appalachian State. Anyone who knows Stephanie will always picture her with a smile on her face. The outdoor life we enjoyed in college has stuck with her, as she still enjoys hiking and camping. She also enjoys volunteering at her church, and hopes to donate even more of her time to volunteer work when her youngest child enters preschool.

Stephanie and her husband Jonathan live in Greensboro with their children, Charlie (6) and Tyler (2). Stephanie has lived in Greensboro since she was in the third grade! She worked part time as an Assistant Project Manager for a marketing/graphics company until last year when she and Jonathan adopted their second son, Tyler.

Let’s get to know this week’s Smarty Mom!

It has been so exciting to watch you bring Tyler into your home. Please share with us how you made the decision to adopt.
During my pregnancy with my first son, Charlie, I had some medical issues including a struggle with insomnia that I was afraid of repeating because I finally had it under control. Because I knew several families who had adopted wonderful children, we considered adoption for a long time and then decided that was how we should expand our family.

For other parents looking into adoption, where would you tell them to start?
I read as many books as I could and I did a lot of research on the web. We also went to several information sessions at the adoption agency that we ended up choosing and they sent us newsletters so that we learned a lot about different countries' processes.

How did you prepare your son, Charlie, for Tyler’s arrival?
We included Charlie from the beginning, talked about it a lot and found some kids books that were about adopting a new sibling. Honestly though, I don’t know if there is a great way to prepare a 5-year-old for a rambunctious toddler who can be very demanding of Mom and Dad’s attention. That has been a big adjustment but Charlie now says that “Tyler is the best brother in the world."

How did you adjust to being a stay-at-home mom after being in the working world when your first child was young? Do you have any tips for moms who will be in your same position?
It helped that I went from full-time to part-time and then stayed at home so it was a gradual change. Connecting with other moms has helped more than anything. Staying at home can be lonely after being used to having other adults around at work all the time. I have made an effort to get to know lots of other moms so that we can have a little social time most days.

Now on to the easy questions …

Favorite place to get a good deal on kids clothes?
I’m not loyal to a certain place. I just hit end of season clearance racks & consignment.

What is your favorite family activity?
Walking on the trails at Battleground Park in Greensboro.

Favorite “mommy-time” activity?
Probably dinner at a NICE restaurant and a movie with my husband, Jonathan.

Best place to eat lunch with the kids?
McDonalds on Inman Rd in Greensboro has the best playplace. It is huge!

Favorite place to eat dinner out with the kids?
Brixx or Elizabeth’s Pizza

Funniest thing your kid(s) has ever said?
My husband calls me “Honey” and when my son Charlie was about 2, I heard him ask Jonathan “Where did Honey go?”

Favorite park in the Triad?
Triad Park on 421

Mini-van or SUV?
SUV

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad.
It is big enough that we have great parks, The Childrens Museum, The Science Center and the zoo is close by. I can’t imagine living in a place where I didn’t have options as great as those for my boys.

Best kept secret in the Triad?
A ladies boutique called Camille’s beside the new Fresh Market on Lawndale in Greensboro. Great jewelry that is not expensive. They do have cute clothes too.

Best birthday party you have attended?
Jake and Emma Kate’s birthday party with Big Bang Boom was really fun for the kids and the parents!

I could not live without my... friends and family.

Thanks, Stephanie for all your Smarty answers!

We are always on the hunt for Smarty Moms. And while we've been featuring some moms who have done AMAZING things such as going above-and-beyond the call of duty for others, doing incredible work for her family, friends, or community, or has accomplished tremendous feats - we are also looking to feature moms in the Triad who just simply live the daily grit of motherhood! Please send us your "mominations" and feel free to nominate yourself (especially if you are a mompreneur with a great service or product to promote)! We look forward to hearing from you. Email us here with your “Smarty Momination”!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were there any books that you especially liked when preparing your older son for Tyler's arrival? I'd love a good recommendation.

Anonymous said...

You kids are precious. Congratulations on being such a smarty mom!
Angela

Anonymous said...

Steph is a fantastic smarty mom and a great friend! Great choice for this weeks Smarty Mom!!

Anonymous said...

We couldn't live without you either, Stephanie! You are a great friend and a wonderful mom! Awesome pick for Smarty Mom!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure what a "smarty mom" is but I do agree she is a "smart" mom doing a great job of raising my two grandsons! Congratulations,
Stephanie!
I love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Sarah, we found a lot of the books at the library so I don't remember the names but I think that our favorite was called "Jin Woo". Another one that might be good is "Waiting for May." We also read some to Charlie about Russia (where Tyler is from).

Post a Comment