Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Smarty Day Trip Series: Baa Moo Farm


By Katie M

Welcome to another blog in our series of fabulous Day Trips for Smarty families living in the Triad! Today I am writing about Baa Moo Farm. This hidden gem is located in Olin, NC, about an hour's drive from Winston-Salem and Charlotte, an hour and a half from Greensboro, and about an hour 20 minutes from High Point. No matter where you're coming from, the drive is easy and it's so worth it!

Baa Moo Farm is just what the name implies: an animal farm. So plan on wearing old clothes because you WILL get down and dirty with life on this farm. Here adults and children together can milk a cow, feed a baby calf, gather eggs from a hen’s nest, wander through the pastures, watch a sheep get sheared, cross a covered bridge, or take an old-fashioned hay ride, to name a few.

But before you go, here are some things to keep in mind:

You absolutely have to have a reservation to participate on the farm. I found this out the hard way the first time I took my daughter there on a whim. The farm is private and it's run by a family - so you really can't just 'drop in.' It's best to schedule a tour with a family or a group of friends - maybe your play group, a church group, a school group, or just a random group! If you only have a few other friends to go along, you might be grouped together with another group.

Spring is the ideal time to visit the Baa Moo Farm because it gets HOT and shade is scarce! And if you are there during peak sun hours, then definitely bring the sun screen. I went with my son in a Baby Bjorn, and while he was technically too young for sun screen, I lathered him up anyway because we had no other option from the sun.

Baa Moo Farm usually offers discounts on Family Day. The web site does not have any information on when the Family Days will occur, but in the past they took place the second Saturday in May and the second Saturday in October. If you plan to book a trip, you should inquire about those special rate days (if they still exist!).

The hayride is completely safe for any age. Like I said, I brought my son when he was little enough to be in a Baby Bjorn, and I think I even fed him a bottle on the ride!

Pack a lunch because the farm offers picnic facilities and a fireplace in case you want to roast hotdogs. Restrooms are also available.

The farm opens in April and stays open for tours through November. Rates are $8 per person over the age of three.

Baa Moo Farm is located on Jennings Road approximately 5 miles from I-77 (Tomlin Mill Road Exit) from Statesville and 7 miles from I-77 (Hwy. 901 Union Grove Exit). The web site has a map with directions.

To book your tour of the farm, call Calvin or Judy Sell at (704) 876-1732, or you can send them a letter (no, they probably don't have email on the farm!). The addess is: 2529 Jennings Road, Olin, NC 28660.

Enjoy your trip, and be sure to tell them Triad Smarty Pants sent you! Also, if you have been, please share your review or other smarty tips below!

2 comments:

Abby said...

This sounds like a perfect day trip, as my children are out of school next week for Spring Break. Thanks for all of the tips. I love that we can send a letter instead of an email!

Anonymous said...

I have four children of all ages and I must agree that this is a perfect idea for families. Even my oldest, who is in 6th grade, enjoyed this trip to the farm. I feel like we do not get to do things like this enough with our children because we are always at sporting events for someone. I was so happy that we took the time to visit Baa Moo farm and be together.
The owners are sweet people, too.

Post a Comment