Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Jen B


By Katie M

I could not let this day pass without giving a shout out to a dear friend who was taken from us all way too early: Jen B, co-founder of Charlotte Smarty Pants. Today is her birthday and she would be 39-years-old. If you've been a loyal TSP reader from day one then you are familar with this tragic story. Jen B created Charlotte Smarty Pants three years ago and passed away just three months after the site launched. She was 36 years-old, a wife of only four years, a mom to her 2 1/2-year-old daughter, and she died suddenly from non-smoking lung cancer.

Jen B was one of the first girls I met in Charlotte in 1994, and she will always hold a special place in my heart. Jen died without ever knowing she had lung cancer (we all say that was divine intervention) and unfortunately her cancer advanced too quickly for her to recognize any symptoms. As much as this is a tribute to Jen B, I also want this to be a calling to moms everywhere to be vigilant of your own health.

Although I blogged about this in February 2009, I want to reiterate my thoughts about the importance of us moms making our own health a priority. While a primary physician may not have helped Jen B because her cancer was so advanced, perhaps this blog will serve as a reminder and help those who might be able to be helped.

You always hear of moms who put their health second to children and husbands. Well, it’s time we stop doing that. We should never be too busy or apathetic to take care of ourselves. Enough cannot be said about the importance of having a primary care physician. Find a doctor and talk to him or her about getting regular check-ups (and not JUST the annual check up from your gynecologist either!).

I know for years I was guilty of never having a primary care physician. I always kept annual appointments with my gynecologist, but if I ever became sick enough to need a primary doctor, I either had to scramble to find a doctor (and usually wait days to get an appointment) or check in at an Urgent Care clinic. Our children have primary care doctors and we should too.

Last September, we also ran a great blog by Chrissy McCullough, Physical Therapist at Lyndhurst Gynecologic Associates, about how we all need to slow down as moms and take time for ourselves. Take another read of this blog - it has fantastic tips!

So, let's use this blog be a call-out for other primary care recommendations. Who do you see and why do you recommend him or her? Please offer suggestions in our comment section below for readers in all areas of the Triad - Greensboro, High Point and other communities.

I recommend my primary care physician: Dr. Ted Toberg with Premier Medical Associates (affiliated with Forsyth Medical Center) on Brookview Hills Blvd (off Hanes Mill Blvd) in Winston-Salem.

Who do you recommend?

Life is a precious gift. Let's help each other to be vigilant of our health. And big hugs to all of you today!

7 comments:

Bethany said...

looking forward to a reccomendation. I need a PMD!

Courtney said...

I was just hoping for some recommendations for Greensboro PMDs! Bring it on!

Kari said...

Dear Katie, thank you for honoring this mom's life. By doing so, it serves as a reminder that we should cherish every day and breath that we are given, which is also something that moms forget to do in our busy lives. Thank you for the reminder to find that perfect PCP. Hug your family and friends today!

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about this story a lot since I read it on Friday. I am in a group in Winston-Salem that is looking for a physician to come speak to us about women's health. It could be someone in primary care or OBGYN. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Rae said...

If anyone is looking for a primary care doctor, please visit this link:
http://www.wfubmc.edu/Primary-Care-Doctors-Accepting-New-Patients.htm

Brooke said...

I would highly, highly recommend Dr. Lindsay Peral with Maplewood Family Practice. She always takes her time, listens, and acts in my best interest. She was recommended by a friend who is a physician and I rarely have to wait more than a day or two to get an appt. with her. She is at the satellite office at the intersection of Robinhood Rd. and Meadowlark Rd.

Anonymous said...

Ted Toborg is also my primary physician and I would highly recommend him as well.

If you have a hard time putting you own mental and physical health on the front burner, don't forget that it's hard to be the best wife and mother you can be unless you do. We owe it not only to ourselves but the ones we love (and who love us!)

Post a Comment