Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Smarty Mom: Ellen Robinson


By Guest Blogger Gayle S

Welcome to another great Saturday, Smarty Moms!! Today's Smarty Mom, Ellen Robinson, is currently at Disney World preparing to run her first marathon on Sunday (tomorrow!!!). She will wake at 2:45 am, be on the monorail at 4 am, and running at 6am. Ellen is a very disciplined, organized, and determined woman!!

Ellen and I met in 2005 as she was finishing her last year as a pediatric resident. She and I lived down the street from each other. At the time, Ellen ran a few times a week but wouldn't run with me since she describes herself as a "waddler" and not a runner. She has trained very hard for the past six months and has not missed a single scheduled training run. Ellen has trained alone (very difficult!!) and will run alone in the marathon (besides the 30,000 other people in it).

Beyond running, Ellen enjoys and excels as a pediatrician at Forsyth Pediatrics-Westgate office two days a week. She is a ful- time mom and wife every other minute of her week. Ellen has been married to Nic, a colorectal surgeon, for 8 1/2 years. They have two smart and beautiful children, Reese (4) and Luke (almost 2). Ellen is a very patient, caring, and intuitive mother who sets high standards and expectations for her kids. They are some of the most polite kids I know! Ellen is very supportive of Nic and his very busy schedule of caring for patients.

Ellen is also one of the most generous and thoughtful people I have met. She makes the time to call to ask about special events in a person's life and helps the underprivileged in many ways. She is a supportive and great friend to all who know her.

Let’s get Smarty with Ellen.

How do you balance your work and home life?
I work for a practice which allows me to job-share so I truly have a part time schedule. We are blessed with an amazing babysitter who takes incredible care of our children while we are at work. I make meals in advance which helps during the evening rush. We do all of the grocery shopping on one day which helps limit time running to and from the store. And we try to laugh a lot, especially when things get a little rough around 6:30pm.

What Smarty tips do you have for moms/dads in your position?
Stay organized.

Favorite place to get a good deal on kids clothes?
I LOVE shopping at Target. They have great play clothes.

What is your favorite family activity?
As a family, we love playing at parks especially the playground at Whitaker Elementary (in W-S).

Favorite “Mommy-time” activity?
I enjoy running, especially when I can do it without the Baby Jogger.

Best place to eat lunch with the kids?
At home….by lunch time our crew is nearing meltdown.

Favorite place to eat dinner out with the kids?
We are big fans of The Loop. It is super famil- friendly and we can always find something the kids will eat.

Funniest thing your kid(s) has ever said?
About a year ago, I had a minor case of pink eye....kind of an occupational hazard along with the 15 billion other illnesses I get a year. One night after I started the eye drops, I was giving Reese a bath and she started giggling. When I asked her what was so funny she said, "Mommy's contacts.” When I asked her to clarify exactly why Mommy's contacts were funny she said, "Because I dropped them in the potty last week." I guess that’s why I got pink eye!

Favorite park in the Triad?
Whitaker Elementary (in W-S)

Mini-van or SUV?
Mini-van

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad?
It’s large enough to have plenty to do, but small enough to retain a small town charm.

Best kept secret in the Triad?
The Children’s Museum at Old Salem. It’s not crowed and has a great play structure to help wear pre-schoolers out.

Best birthday party you have attended?
A party at the Gateway YWCA. IT has a great zero-entry pool and the kids loved it!

I could not live without my... friends.

I wish someone had told me sooner about... the home shoppers at Harris Teeter. For $5, they prepare your grocery order and load it into the car. It’s a tremendous time and energy saver.

Thanks, Ellen for your Smarty answers! And we'll all be thinking of you - and cheering for you - as you run your first marathon! You go, Smarty Mom!

Do you know a mom who goes above and beyond the call of duty for others, someone who does incredible work for her family and a charitable organization, runs a company and a marathon, or is just simply living the daily grit of motherhood?! Then send along your “Smarty Momination” to triadsmartypants@gmail.com for a future Smarty Mom profile!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have become such a regular at the WS Children's Museum. I often forget to take my children to the Old Salem Museum. Thanks for the reminder. We'll be heading there soon!
Also thoroughly enjoyed your contact story. It was terrific!

Post a Comment