Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Smarty Mom: Courtenay Wardell


By Katie M

Happy Smarty Mom Saturday! Today we are doing something a little different with our usual Smarty Mom profile. In an effort to introduce you to everyone on the SmartyPants team, every once in a while we will profile the moms who work on www.CharlotteSmartyPants.com day in and day out. So, to kick things off we are featuring Courtenay Wardell. Courtenay is VP of Mommyhood and Events Guru for Charlotte Smarty Pants and she does the regular Wednesday feature of Smarty Events for Charlotte readers.

Courtenay is a stay-at-home mom who lives in Charlotte and has 3 beautiful children, two girls and one boy. Trey is 9, Sarah Chason is 5, Anna is 3. We at SmartyPants think she is way-savvy, so we are excited for you to meet her as well.

Favorite place to get a good deal on kids clothes?
Good deals on kids clothes – several places. My son wears a uniform to school so he just needs play clothes and a “church” outfit. I find a lot of things for him at Target and Children’s Place. I do try to buy things that that don’t have store logos all over them. I also like Mini Boden for him. For the girls, I buy several things for them through Mini Boden but I get the basics – t-shirts, turtlenecks, shorts, etc. at Target or Old Navy. I have gotten some good deals at Gymboree and through Lands End Kids and LL Bean Kids on basic knit dresses and tights and skorts.

Favorite weekday activity for pre-schoolers?
I love to take my kids to the park or on rainy/cold days to the Chick Fil A. If I really need to get them out of the house, I can take them to any bookstore that has a play area, Pottery Barn Kids or to Toy and Co. just to let them play. I know, sounds crazy but my girls love the kitchens and dollhouses that are somewhere other than home.

Favorite weekend activity?
We love to head to the mountains with the kids and when it is warmer the beach. If we stay in town, we like to make plans with friends and have a casual dinner and just let the kids play. Now – my reality is that my favorite activity is calling a sitter and going out without the kids to places that are not kid friendly and actually finishing a meal while it is warm and a drink while it is cold!

Funniest thing your kid(s) has ever said?
This very evening, my two-year-old threw her arms around me and said “Mom, I love you tiny, tiny much!” How could you not smile?

Mini-van or SUV?
My very first brand new car was…… A Mini Van. That is the day that I realized my self-perceived coolness was over. The day I became one of “those moms” was bittersweet for me. I do love my Odessey though and for trips and carpooling, it is awesome. I dream of the day that I am in my little two seat convertible, no kids, hair blowing in the wind, music cranked up and no carpool line in sight.

I could not live without my...
As much as I hate to say it, my minivan. It is wonderful for carpools, ball practice and road trips with the kids. Also…my husband Robert, no matter what is going on he can always make me laugh.

I wish someone had told me sooner about...
The many Smarty Moms out there. I have learned so much from other moms, great tips, new ideas and many times supportive words.

Thanks Courtenay for the great answers, and for sharing your Smarty Tips with the Triad.

Do you know a mom who goes above and beyond the call of duty for others, someone who does incredible work for her family and a charitable organization, runs a company and a marathon, or is just simply living the daily grit of motherhood?! Then email us
your “Smarty Momination” and we'll get it scheduled!

0 comments:

Post a Comment