Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Smarty Mom: Lauren Simons



By Rachel H

I met Lauren a few years ago at our swim club, and quickly learned that she is one of the friendliest and most fun moms around! Lauren’s daughters follow right in her footsteps as they always seem to have smiles on their faces and fun ideas of games for all the kids at the pool.

Lauren and her husband, Chris, live in Pfafftown with their girls, Madeline-7, Chloe-6, and Isabel-3. Lauren is Triad “Born and Bred.” She is a stay-at-home Mom, as well as a talented artist. She is actively involved in her church and volunteers with the youth and Sunday school.

You can find Lauren’s artwork in several local shops, as well as the Whimsical Women show. Lauren loves painting, creating, and photography, as well as teaching others to paint or create. She loves all outdoor and water sports and recently ran her first ½ marathon in April!

Can’t wait for you to learn more about Lauren …

We all know how time consuming any type of art can be. How do you find the time to paint and create while staying home with your children?
It is always hard to balance our responsibilities as mothers, no matter what the task. For several years my creative juices dried up. It wasn’t until a custom mural project forced me back into it, that I realized my art made me a better person, AND better mother! Now I keep my girls involved with their own projects while I am working.

What first inspired you to become an artist?
I have always loved creating. I don’t remember ever not wanting to pursue some sort of art.

What are some tips you have for other moms who want to help instill a love of art in their children?
Take a little time to plan some crafts and projects in advance. It is just too hard to do it on the fly when your kids are interested. I stock up on supplies and cheap projects for those times when you don’t have the energy to do a lot of work with it. Finding some great ideas from other moms, Triad Smarty Pants blogs, other local art blogs, etc is always a great place to start.

Since you have lived in the Triad your whole life, what do you think is the best kept secret in the area?
I love the Reynolda House family first workshops and the community day they have in the spring.

What is the smartiest way you save money?
Planning meals is the best way for my budget, but my personal favorite is in repurposing furniture and giving stuff face-lifts!

What is your favorite family activity?
We love anything with water, but we have a ‘family night’ activity once a week that my kids beg for every night!

Favorite “me-time” activity?
Running, or taking pictures

Favorite place to eat dinner as a family?
Gotta be one of our favorite Mexican joints- Mi Pueblo!

Favorite date night spot?
We love Downtown Thai

Favorite book you have read?
I loved Steinbeck’s East of Eden years ago and it inspired a few paintings. I am reading The Hunger Games right now and it is awesome.

Best place to eat lunch with the kids?
Nothing new here…Chick-fil-A.

Favorite place to purchase art?
Whimsical Women Art Show in November!

Favorite place to shop for children’s clothes?
Love Buttons Boutique! I have sold art and children’s furniture there too!

What is the best birthday party you have attended?
My girls loved going to Cash Lovell Stables for a riding party.

What is your favorite mom’s must have item for around the house?
Magic eraser, of course!

Mini-van or SUV?
SUV

Favorite park in the Triad?
Fourth of July Park in Kernersville or Tanglewood for the playgrounds. C.J. Hill Memorial Park for running, bike riding, and fishing!

Favorite or most helpful blog you have read on Triad Smarty Pants thus far?
I loved the camp directory and the birthday party directory is amazing!

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad?
I love the location, the schools, the arts, the southern hospitality, the people, the activities…my list is pretty long!

I could not live without my...camera!

Thank you so much for your answers today, Lauren! You are a fantastic addition to our growing list of Smarty Moms in the Triad!

If you have a mom or dad who you would like to nominate, email us at triadsmartypants@gmail.com!


And don't forget to register to win a family four-pack of tickets to see Peter & the Wolf, compliments of Eastern Music Festival. Two TSP newsletter subscribers will win four tickets each! To register for these tickets, click here. This giveaway ends Friday, July 9. Good luck, Smarties!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lauren, you are beautiful inside and out! I am glad to have you as a friend!

Deana said...

I read about Whimsical Women last time on TSP and went to the show. We had a wonderful time shopping and viewing all the art. I will be sure to look for you next time, Lauren!

Post a Comment