Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Smarty Mom: Angela Gaynor


By Katie M

Smarties, it’s my pleasure to introduce you to Angela Gaynor, this week’s Smarty Mom. Angela and her husband, Ken, have two children: Nate, 5, and Meleah, 4. Originally from out of state, Angela came to call North Carolina home over six years ago and has enjoyed it ever since, especially being so close to mountains and the coast.

Angela is a stay-at-home mom during the day, and works in the evenings and on weekends. With a background in music and a love for entertaining, Angela has been able to successfully create and run two small businesses. On the weekends, she goes out as a Disney princess impersonator/performer and brings the music of Disney and the best loved princesses to life at birthday parties and other events through her company Princess Performances. Additionally, she teaches voice and piano lessons to students of all ages at her music studio, AG Studios. Angela also writes her own music and performs with her ministry band a few times a month. You can check her out at www.angelagaynor.com.

So, let’s get to know this busy Smarty Mom…

How were you inspired to start Princess Performances and your music studio?
With my daughter into princesses and me having a vocal degree, Princess Performances just happened naturally. Every night I was requested to give a performance in the kitchen as my daughter said "Sing Cindrella, Mommy, Sing Ariel.” It finally occured to me that this would be such fun to bring the characters to life through song for children. And so, Princess Performances was created.

Now it has grown and three princess impersonation parties are offered (Cinderella, Ariel, and Snow White) and the shows include: performing the best loved songs from their movie, games, interactive instrument playing, storytelling, crowning the princess with a beautiful rhinestone tiarra and much more! If you have a princess or know someone who does, feel free to help us spread the word so we can make their days one of a kind! It's a priviledge to bring the fairy tale world to life!

I’ve had for my music studio for 11 years. I taught while in college, and continued on, and have always enjoyed teaching children through adults. I love bringing games and fun activities into the studio to reinforce music concepts and seeing kids' eyes light up as they really ‘get it’ even more. Music has always been my passion and I love passing that onto others and helping them enjoy it as I do.

How do you balance both businesses and a home life?
I work during the kids naps and after they are in bed or when my husband’s home, so that helps keep me focused when they are up on them and household things. It’s hard at times when there are deadlines with my studio or recording, but I’m a night owl when I have to be. I’m so fortunate to be my own boss and set my own hours.

What Smarty tips do you have for others in your position?
Lists! Ha! Lists and schedule books saves me a lot! And if you love something and are passionate about it, go for it!

What do you like to do in your spare time, if/when you have such time?
I love to scrapbook, volunteer to impersonate princesses for hospice children and Brenner Children’s hospital, and am planning on home schooling my children full time next year.

Favorite place to get a good deal on kids’ clothes?
I love Target sales/clearance.

What is your favorite family activity?
We love the park the most I would say.

Favorite “mommy-time” activity?
I absolutely love playing with my children, so hide and seek, wrestling, or anything imagination tops my list.

Best place to eat lunch with the kids?
We don’t really eat out too much for lunch as my kids have only begun to be better eaters (just started being willing to eat a chicken nugget.) but they will eat Moe’s quesadillas.

Favorite place to eat dinner out with the kids?
My top favorite would probably be Texas Road House! Yum!

Mini-van or SUV?
Mini-van

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad?
Wow, I love the nature here! The closeness to beach and mountains! (something Oklahoma definitely doesn’t have!) And being so close to so many great museums, aquariums and zoos is wonderful also!

Best kept secret in the Triad?
The Barbeque Shack in Thomasville!

Best birthday party you have attended?
Well, can I say my daughter's? We just had it a few weeks ago and a friend came in my Cinderella costume and made my daughters day! It was wonderful!

I could not live without my…keyboard.

I wish someone had told me sooner about…all the online mom support available.

Thanks, Angela, for all your tips and advice!

And Smarties, don't forget to sign yourselves up for the fabulous FREE family portrait session with Andrea Halsey Photography. This promotion ends at Noon on Friday, July 17 and the winner will be announced on July 19. You must be a Triad Smarty Pants newsletter subscriber to enter. Just click here to register. Good luck!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are one busy mom!Congratulations on all of your talents and accomplishments!

Jess said...

Your princess performances are ingenious! My daughter freaked out in Disney anytime she saw a princess. She would be in heaven if one showed up at her birthday party!!

Anonymous said...

I love your website! What a great idea! I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to have a princess!

Becky said...

That is so exciting to add music to the princess show! I love the Disney songs! Congrat's on a great business!

Post a Comment