Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Is It Just Me????


By Rachel H

Random ramblings, thoughts and concerns from an everyday mom. So today I am asking the question, “Is it just me?”

Is it just me who…

· Always gets mean looks from older ladies in the grocery store when I take my kids with me?
· Actually enjoys watching reruns of “Full House”?
· Is absolutely enamored by the muscles on the guy from the “Lazy Town” cartoon?
· Can drink two diet cokes and still fall right to sleep?
· Does not have my ears pierced?
· Is flattered when I get stares from construction workers in my mini-van?

· Misses the smell of a baby’s room?
· Consistently promises myself that tomorrow I will not just sit on the bench at the playground and will instead run around with my kids?
· Really wants to educate the country on the correct usage of “your” and “you’re”?
· Enjoyed wearing a bathing suit while I was pregnant because I was “large and in charge” and was not embarrassed about it?
· Now refers to people by their first, maiden and last name since that is how it is posted on Facebook?
· Literally hurts my kids when I hug them because they are so darn cute and I want to SQUEEZE them?
· Thinks Atari was better than Wii?
· Can watch the Evolution of Dance video a thousand times and still think it is funny every time?
· Enjoys embarrassing my kids?
· Kisses my kids literally 100 times a day or more?
· Would lie in bed pretending to be sound asleep when the kids would wake up in the middle of the night and hope my husband would get up to check on them?
· Absolutely cannot remember what it was like to have a flat stomach?
· Doesn’t really understand the purpose of a rice cake?
· Never ever thought I would actually pick someone else’s nose until I became a mom?
· Majorly stresses over whether or not to send the kids to school when you can’t decide if they are getting sick?
· Wishes the “Land of the Lost” with Chaka and Sleestack was still on TV so my children could love it as much as I did?
· Thinks Chutes and Ladders can be the longest game on the face of the earth?
· Wishes the over-sized Forenza sweater would come back in style?
· Has kids that each have the potential to turn into a complete spaz by 7pm?
· Has dreams about PF Chang’s?
· Has been reprimanded by a complete stranger for making my son “walk too fast” in Target?
· Still uses the word Dude entirely too much?
· Is always talking to myself? Even in public?
· Laughed instead of reprimanded my toddler when he said, “oh sh*t!”?
· Does not understand how we are all still catching colds when everything we use kills 99.9% of germs?
· Always hopes my kids won’t finish their dessert so I can have it?
· Is scared to death of the teenage years?
· Thinks it is OK to eat most food that falls on the ground?
· Is still hoping to take piano lessons one day?
· Absolutely cannot stand the sound of someone’s teeth on a fork?
· Loves watching The Hills because it’s reality TV that is nothing like my reality?
· Loves the smell of rafts and inner tubes for the pool?
· Gets so excited when a Michael McDonald song comes on the radio?
· Gets teary-eyed when I watch my kids playing together and actually getting along?
· Has kids who know every ice cream and bagel shop within a 10 mile radius of my house?
· Is very leery of people who whistle?
· Has absolutely no patience for waiting in line anymore?
· Had a Nana that always smelled like Sen-Sens and really misses that smell?
· Catches myself singing along to kids’ music even when there are no kids in the car?
· Will admit that I love to play Word Whomp?
· Never wants my kids to grow any older than they are at this very minute?
· Thinks nothing’s better than lying in the grass and looking up at the sky on an 80-degree day?
· Can’t stand when people talk to their children really loud on purpose so that people around will hear them and comment?
· Tells my kids they can’t have a quarter for the gumball machine but then turns around and gets an ice cream sundae for myself for $4.00?
· Thinks that Ruby on the “Max and Ruby” cartoon is really bossy?
· Is still pulling for Britney Spears?
· Really thinks we need a drive-thru post office?
· Thinks we have way too many options for schooling these days?
· Can’t stand when teenagers called me “ma’am”? Am I really that old?
· Still does not have DVR?
· Is still praying that they will find Kyle Fleishmann?
· Heard my daughter’s four-year-old friend ask, “Why is your mom so grouchy”?

Thanks for letting me ramble. I would like to know if it really is just me!

18 comments:

Michelle said...

This is hilarious! I am still laughing about the stranger telling you that you were making your son walk too fast! And I love the last one about your daughter's friend.
And no, you are absolutely not alone and it is not just you!

RLR said...

In complete agreement on the drive through post office and that Ruby is bossy!

Anonymous said...

Rachel... I love this post! And I wonder so many of the same things! I think you are great and I hope this is the norm!! Enjoy your almost 80 degree day! I hope it is a great one!

Amy said...

Yeah! I love all your 80's references, esp. "Land of the Lost". I totally forgot, like, all about that, like you know. (Had to throw in a little Vally Girl lingo.) ; )

Thanks! That was a great list. Keep hugging your kids 'cause as much as they doth protest, they secretly need and want it too!

Amy

Summer said...

I agree that Ruby is super bossy, Why does Max know so many words but only speak in one word sentences? and also I think Caillou is big whiner and why is he still bald? I'm hoping your thoughts are the thoughts of all moms, although I have to admit, I have no desire to put down my coffee and play with the kids at the park, I really just want to sit on the bench and chat with the other mommies. And also, While we are confessing, I loathe pushing the swing!! By the way.. Land of the Lost is still on TV.. it's either on Boomerang or Cartoon Network.. the SMURFS too!!

MissPriss said...

I agree about the drive thru post office, I would like to see a drive thru mini mart so I can buy milk, eggs, and other staples without getting my daughter out of the car. I confess to being enamored with Mover Scott from Imagination Movers.

Kelly G. said...

Where to start...I laughed when my toddler said, "D%mn it! D%mn it! D%mn it!" the other day. I think all forks should be rubber-coated. I fear I will drive myself nuts when picking an elem. school next year. I jokingly call the floor of my house "a giant plate." And as for lying in the grass, I consider lying down at any time, for any reason, terrific. Dude.

Anonymous said...

It IS just you, you freak! ha-ha!

I guess after all these years I now know even more reasons why we get along so well!

jill

Emily Halsey said...

Rachel,

As I said, I am sitting hear dying laughing at this! You are definitely not alone sister! I call people "Dude" all the time, particularly my daughter, I LOVED Land of the Lost, agree with Summer's comment that Caillou is a total whiner ( thought I was alone in that : ) ), and love that my daughter loves Smurfs, Snorks, and Wacky Races. And since you know my love for trashy reality tv, I will fully admit that I am completely sad that it is the last season of The Hills! Thanks for putting a huge smile on my face! Love Ya, Dude!

Anonymous said...

Although I have never met you, I can tell I like you just by this post! These are great. My heart also goes out to the Kyle Fleishmann family and I think about them often.
I am also glad to hear that someone else still loves Britney. I am old enough that I could probably be her mother, so maybe that is why I want her to be successful!
Oh yeah, Michael McDonald is the best!

Anonymous said...

Rachel-
LOVE this post! It is not just you! By the way, loved sitting on the bench in the shade while the kids played today :)!!
Dayna

Mel14 said...

These are too funny. How in the world did you come up with all of those ? My one for the day was telling my almost 6 year old that he can be grouchy but he can't take it out on me... then I begain to think...don't I do that with both my kids and my husband daily ! Is that just Me ...?

Debbie said...

Rachel - I love you!! Thank you so much for helping us all realize that we are not the only ones out there with these crazy thoughts!!

I am with you on so many of these!

Thanks for sharing!

Kate said...

This post is great!! I can relate to most of what you wrote.
I must say Dude entirely too much b/c my 17 month old now runs around the house going "DU." LOL!
I resisted cellphones for the longest time, and still don't have DVR either! We still use the VCR.

Anonymous said...

Dude this is a great posT! I used to live near a couple named "Will & Holly" and couldn't help snickering everytime I saw them! I would love a drive thru post office! and Ruby is a big sister --what do you expect?!

april b said...

Rachel,

Reading this made me laugh so hard! I totally felt like I was lunch with you and we were just talking across the table.

You are not alone in these thoughts.

Keep up the excellent blogging!
April

Rachel H said...

Oh my gosh, all of these comments truly made me smile and laugh out loud. Thanks so much for all your thoughts! Miss Priss, I have never seen Imagination Movers, but had to look up Scott after I read your comment! That is too funny.

You guys are the best!

Carrie said...

It is NOT just you!! This is an awesome post, makes me not feel so "weird" now. Although, I do have my ears pierced and have a Tivo.
Not only do I wait to finish their dessert, I would never get breakfast if my kids ate all theirs! My daughter thinks I'm weird because I think Sportacus is cute on Lazytown. And, just where are Max & Ruby's parents?!?

Post a Comment