Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Sweetest Nest


By Guest Blogger Marybeth Barrett

Not too long ago, Triad Smarty Pants profiled Marybeth Barrett as a Smarty Mom, and we thought she was so creative, we asked her to offer us an Easter craft. We hope you enjoy her blog below - we sure did. To learn more about Marybeth, be sure to read our Smarty Mom profile (click on link above) or catch her Down Home DIY column each month in Forsyth Family magazine. - Katie M.

I am always looking for an excuse to eat something chocolate. It is a staple in my diet. Diet is used loosely here. A piece of chocolate a day keeps the stress away, well at least for me anyway. One of my favorite desserts to make is always a big hit around the Christmas holiday season. So, I decided to put a little spin on it for the Easter holiday season. I call it “The Sweetest Nest." It may not be the prettiest dessert you ever see, but I can guarantee that it is sinfully delicious. My friends call them “crack” because they are so dangerously addicting. Can I say that? I guess I just did.

Here is what you need to create this craft that you can eat (now that is my kind of crafting!)...

Supplies
• A large mixing bowl and spoon
• Microwavable bowl or double broiler
• 1 twelve ounce bag of Chocolate chips
• 1 twelve ounce bag of Butterscotch chips
• 1 five ounce can of La Choy Chow Mein Noodles
• Muffin pans
• Baking cups (or muffin cups, or whatever you call them…the paper thingy’s that go around cupcakes)
• Candy that looks like bird eggs. I used pastel colored M&M’s
• Optional: A small can of Planters peanuts

Instructions
This is very messy. If the kids are helping, you may want to cover your work surface with a tablecloth or wax paper. And yes, please feel free to lick the spoon when you are all done!

• Put the baking cups in the muffin pans. I used large and mini muffin pans. The larger ones are easier to use to make them look like a nest, but they are very generous portions. Works for me! I made some mini ones for my kids.

• Use a double broiler or microwave to melt the bag of Chocolate Chips and Butterscotch chips together. If you use a microwave, cook it at 50% power for 5 minute intervals and then stir. Keep repeating the process until they are fully melted. Be careful not to overcook.

• Remove the melted chips from heat. You need to work quickly in the next few steps so it doesn’t solidify.

• Add in 1 can of Chow Mein Noodles. Gently fold the melted chips over the noodles until they are completely covered.

• Optional: Add ¾ of a can of peanuts and gently spoon the melted chips over the peanuts.

• Spoon a heaping Tablespoon (or more) of your melted “Chocolate Goodness” into each baking cup. I made around 14 large nests and 18 small ones. It makes a lot so you can halve the recipe if you want. I didn’t want to.

• Gently make an indentation in the center to resemble a nest.

• Add three M&M’s, or candy of choice to each nest.

• Refrigerate.

• When serving, take your “Sweetest Nests” out of the refrigerator for a bit to warm up, otherwise they are really hard.

• Eat, repeat and enjoy!

Happy Spring! After you try this recipe, let us know what you think!

7 comments:

Molly said...

These are really cute and sound delicious. Thanks for the recipe. Maybe we'll need to make these with all the cousins this weekend!
Molly

Rachel H said...

Thanks for sharing this MaryBeth! Not only does it sound super-yummy, but I laughed through your whole post. You are a hoot!

Anonymous said...

These are adorable. I would love to leave them sitting out as decorations, but I have a feeling that would not last long.

J.P. man said...

these are the coolest things I have seen. We're going to make some.

Kim said...

These were great! They took no time at all, and they're very cute and yummy. We actually made a 2nd batch to give to neighbors and to a teacher whose birthday we missed!

Unknown said...

Yippee! I am so glad you all like them. They are easy, fun and so yummy. Chocolate makes me giddy!
Thanks for the great comments!
All my best,
~MB
www.addressingspaces.com

Csilla Dunn said...

Cute craft and recipe idea, Marybeth! Thanks for sharing this site with me.

Post a Comment