Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Smarty Mom: Leigh Ann Woodruff


By Katie M

Smarties, I am thrilled to introduce to you someone whose name you’ll probably recognize pretty easily. For this Smarty Mom Saturday we are featuring Leigh Ann Woodruff, former editor of Piedmont Parent magazine.

Leigh Ann and her husband Kelly have two adorable sons: Wills (8) and Joseph (5). She was born and raised in Winston-Salem, and after living in Raleigh, returned to the Triad for good in the fall of 1997. Leigh Ann has experienced life as a full-time working mom, as a part-time working mom – and currently as both, depending on the demands of her present freelance writing/public relations/marketing position. Leigh Ann is also a sustainer in the Junior League and a member of the board of directors for SciWorks. She also volunteers at Whitaker Elementary School where she organized the first Whitaker Family Valentine’s Dance this year and sold tissue paper carnations to raise money. She and her team of volunteers sold around 1,500 carnations, so in addition to everything else she does, you could also say she’s an accomplished paper carnation-maker! Additionally, Leigh Ann has chaired the Festival of Trees for Brenner Children’s Hospital and says that’s been one of her most rewarding volunteer activities to date.

I was so excited to catch up with this Smarty Mom, so let’s get to know Leigh Ann.

How do you juggle the demands of motherhood along with the demands of your work?
I don’t know that I am actually very good at “juggling” because I find myself coming into the office constantly to check email or finish up something.

I was working full-time when Wills was born and for a year after. Then I decided to freelance, and did that for a while until I had Joseph. Piedmont Parent found me because I had queried them about writing an article, and they hired me as editor. I worked for them until I went to work at Forsyth Country Day School for a year. Then, I decided that I preferred working from home, so I am back to freelancing! I do not know that I really do a good job of juggling. My husband is great, and he can cook and fills in whenever I need him to.

I also feel like kids are much more accepting of their mom working if they know their mom loves what they do. If they in any way feel like the parent resents working or is unhappy in their job, they sense that opening and will start "working it."

What Smarty tips do you have for other moms in your position?
Talk to your children and explain to them that your work is important and why they must respect that. I have done this from the time they were very little, and they don’t interrupt me when I’m on the phone!

As former editor of PP magazine, what did you find most fulfilling about that position? And what was most challenging, particularly as a mom reporting on topics of interest to other moms?
I loved the job as editor of Piedmont Parent. I especially loved writing the travel articles (editors are treated very well when they travel!). I also enjoyed writing my editor’s message every month and trying to make that meaningful to other moms. The most challenging thing was doing the covers — I often had one vision for a cover while the art directors had another, and, of course, I always thought I was right! When I was writing an article about topics of interest to other moms (e.g., internet bullying, cell phones, educational testing, etc.) it was always challenging to NOT put my own opinions in the article.

What kinds of articles or topics did you find were of most interest to other moms?

Anything having to do with education seemed to get the most interest.

What kinds of articles or topics did you find the most difficult reporting?
I found as my children were getting older, it was more difficult for me to report on such things as toilet training and breastfeeding because I just wasn’t living it anymore. After I left, the executive editor, Elaine Heitman, said the new editor, Myra Wright, was “going to do something that Leigh Ann just wouldn’t do for the magazine.” She then told me that Myra was pregnant!

Interesting stuff! Ok, now on to the fun questions...

Favorite place to get a good deal on kids clothes?
I have found some incredible things at the Junior League Rummage Sale! Boys are easy. I buy a lot of polo shirts at TJ Maxx, and I have also found that Children’s Place has great sales.

What is your favorite family activity?
We have great neighbors and fences that have gates between the yard, so the kids run back and forth. In good weather we love just hanging out in the back yard, listening to music and running around with the kids.

Favorite “mommy-time” activity?
I love that special time before bed when we’re reading or just talking about the day.

Best place to eat lunch with the kids?
The kids would say Chick-fil-A, but I would say Bruegger’s or C&K Bagels.

Favorite place to eat dinner out with the kids?
Kimono (Japanese restaurant on Country Club Rd in WS)

Funniest thing your kid(s) has ever said?
We sent to see the symphony tribute to ‘70s disco recently. Wills is learning Beethoven’s Fifth in piano, and the symphony started playing Beethoven’s Fifth (The disco version). It started out quite traditionally, and then when they suddenly switched to the disco sound, Wills turned to me with a look of shock on his face and said “I sure didn’t see that coming!”

Favorite park in the Triad?
Hmmm…when they were little, we usually ended up at Hanes, so I guess that’s our favorite.

Mini-van or SUV?
SUV

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad?
There is such a sense of connection among people here, and I am glad my children are able to experience it. My mother died recently, and I had friends who took over and got me through a very difficult time. I will never be able to thank them enough. In addition, so much in the Triad is geared toward families: cultural opportunities, museums such as SciWorks and The Children’s Museum, the rich tradition and history of the city — it’s the perfect place to raise a family.

Best kept secret in the Triad?
The Community Music School of the Arts that is affiliated with the UNC School of the Arts. Wills has had a great experience learning piano, and they offer instruction in many different instruments, as well as early childhood music instruction.

Best birthday party you have attended?
We had a Mad Scientist birthday party one year, and I was amazed at how mesmerized the children were.

I could not live without my... computer.

I wish someone had told me sooner about... how much fun it is to be on Facebook!

Thanks, Leigh Ann for all your Smarty answers!

We are always on the hunt for Smarty Moms. And while we've been featuring some moms who have done AMAZING things such as going above-and-beyond the call of duty for others, doing incredible work for her family, friends, or community, or has accomplished tremendous feats - we are also looking to feature moms in the Triad who just simply live the daily grit of motherhood! Please send us your "mominations" and feel free to nominate yourself (especially if you are a mompreneur with a great service or product to promote)! We look forward to hearing from you. Email us here with your “Smarty Momination”!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your nomination, Leigh Ann! I enjoyed reading all your answers. Our children attend Whitaker and we all had a blast at the Valentine's Dance.

Sam said...

Where is the community music school? Do they offer camps in the summer? I would love to know more about this!

Julie said...

Ditto to Sam's question ... fill us in! Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Community Music's phone number is 734-2950--please give them a call!

Jennifer said...

YAY! Congrats to Leigh Ann! You really are a very Smarty Mom. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks, person who left our phone number! Yes, please call us at that number above and give us your mailing address. We'll be happy to send you more information about the summer!

You can also visit our website at www.uncsa.edu/communitymusic, or email us at communitymusic@uncsa.edu. We'd love to hear from you!

- the friendly staff at Community Music School

Post a Comment