Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Smarty Mom: Jennifer Fussell


By Rachel H

Stay-at-home mom, Jennifer Fussell, is this week’s Smarty Mom. She and her husband Kevin were high school sweethearts and have lived in the Triad since 2004 having moved here after Kevin finished his medical residency and fellowship in Nashville, TN. They have a 10 year-old son named Hudson who attends Forsyth Country Day School and is in the 4th grade. Jennifer serves as Co- President of the Medical Alliance of the Piedmont as well as being a founding member of the Women's Council and serving as a Committee Member for the 2009 Garden Party. She loves cooking, reading, and hiking. She has done work in the Dominican Republic on medical trips and with water filtration. Jennifer says being a parent is the most rewarding thing she’s ever done!

I am excited for all of you to get to know Jennifer better …

Please tell us more about your work in the Dominican Republic and what it has meant to you.
Shortly after we moved to Winston, Kevin was invited to go to the DR with a group of doctors from Forsyth Medical Center on a medical trip. He went that February (2005) and was hooked! He’s been back every February since and several other times per year. I have been several times as well and it’s now become “home away from home”. Complete with family. We’ve taken what started as a medical trip and expanded it to become a passion. We started putting water filters in every home as a means to provide clean drinking water which will greatly reduce the illness and disease, but have now put in a 2000-3000-gallon tank that will provide water to the entire village. It’s been wonderful to see the benefits. The villagers typically do not like “clean” water because of the chemical taste they think it has, so this has been remarkable. They like the water because it is filtered naturally (either through sand or with solar power depending on the filter) and can tell a difference in the way it makes them feel. When you walk through the village and they are running to you and telling you how much better they feel, it’s amazing.

We have become very close with the resident physician in Barahona, Dr. Jorge Volquez and our interpreter, Wilkyns Chal and their families. We speak to both of them frequently from Winston and always send goodies for the kids. They have cooked for us in their homes and welcomed us into their hearts. Currently, we’re helping finance Wilkyns university education so he can pursue further interests in language.

You are very involved in the community with volunteer work. What are your best tips for managing these activities and your home life?
Do only the things that you are truly passionate about and learn to say no to the rest. I limit my activites to the school day when Hudson is in school. When he comes home, it is very important to me to be available to him. I might fold some laundry and obviously cook dinner, but the rest of the day belongs to Kevin and Hudson.

Please tell us more about the Women’s Council and your involvement with it.
The Women’s Council is a new organization founded to raise the standard for women’s health care and expand the healthcare opportunities for women regardless of economic circumstances. Given the current economy, this is obviously important but as the wife of a physician (and a woman) this is something that I believe in whole-heartedly and support completely.

Our first philanthropic venture was a generous donation to provide mammography, and our hallmark fundraiser will be an Annual Garden Party currently in the planning stages. But this will be an amazing day!!

What is your favorite thing about being a mom?
The lessons I’ve learned through Hudson. Patience. Acceptance. Determination. But also, the pleasure in rediscovering the little things. A tidal pool. Kite flying. A hike. Fishing. I think we enjoy these things much more the second time around.

What is your favorite family activity?
We love to watch movies and play games. We’ll play a game almost every night after dinner. And we play something called “high low” at dinner, where each person says their high and their low for the day. It’s a great way to get dinner conversation started.

Favorite “mommy-time” activity?
Yoga. I recently began practicing yoga and have finally found what I’ve been looking for in a routine. After years of bouncing between gyms, treadmills, DVDs and the like, I am embracing the calm that I find in yoga. I’m much stronger both physically and mentally and appreciate the time that I have to just spend on myself. It makes me a better person.

Favorite date place in the Triad?
Milner’s for a casual night and Ryan’s when it’s a special occasion.

Favorite place to eat dinner out with the family?
We’re suckers for either pizza or Chinese in the den watching movies. But we love Midtown Dessertery three meals a day!

Funniest thing your son has ever said?
Oh wow! That’s tough. Recently he said that when he grows up, he either wants to be a senator or a lawyer. When asked why, he replied “because I like to argue and I like to get my way…” It’s better than his last chosen profession: Taxidermy.

Mini-van or SUV?
Suv

Favorite book you have recently read?
I have lots. I recently finished The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan and loved it. Other favorites though are Three Cups of Tea, Mountains Beyond Mountains, The Outer Banks and anything by Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult. I bounce between something heavy and something light. Right now, I’m reading The Shack. Definitely heavy…

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad?
Having lived In Nashville for 7 years, I thought it was home. It’s where Hudson was born and where we went from a couple to a family. But I could be out in town all day long and NEVER see anyone I knew. That was lonely. I love that Winston is the friendliest, warmest community. I feel at home here. Comfortable.

Smartiest way you save money?
I’d like to say that I am a budget minded person, but the truth is that I save money by staying out of Target…

Best birthday party you have attended?
Hudson’s first and second parties were my favorite. For his first, it was just family and closest friends. We had chili and hung out while Hudson played with his toys. And my mother-in-law made his cake a fire engine. For his second party, we hosted 15 kids and their parents (INSANITY) for a brunch in our home. There were kids EVERYWHERE!! In the front yard, in the back yard, upstairs, but it was such fun!! It was also the last time we had a birthday party at the house.

I could not live without my... family, friends and my cell phone. My family is my life - they bring me comfort, safety and purpose. My friends each bring a different and special perspective to my life. Together they make up all the facets that are me. And my cell phone. I wonder every day how my Mom would drop me off at school and run errands and not be “connected."

I wish someone had told me sooner about... simplifying.

Thanks, Jennifer for all your Smarty answers!

We are always on the hunt for Smarty Moms. And while we've been featuring some moms who have done AMAZING things such as going above-and-beyond the call of duty for others, doing incredible work for her family, friends, or community, or has accomplished tremendous feats - we are also looking to feature moms in the Triad who just simply live the daily grit of motherhood! Please send us your "mominations" and feel free to nominate yourself (especially if you are a mompreneur with a great service or product to promote)! We look forward to hearing from you. Email us here with your “Smarty Momination”!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The work you have done in the Dominican Republic sounds incredible. Kudos to you and your family for all you do for others.

B.H. said...

I like your tips on only volunteering for the things you are passionate about. I am constantly over-extending myself because I can't say no! Maybe that needs to be my May-resolution.

BlueStormBeezus09 said...

Wonderful to hear about your work in the DR. I am originally from Santo Domingo and know how terrible conditions can be, especially in the villages. I know your work is truly appreciated.

Kelly said...

Jennifer is quite the Smarty Mom! Thanks for sharing!

april said...

I really enjoyed reading this. Kepp up the good work Jennifer!

Post a Comment