Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Smarty Mom: Katina Rice


By Rachel H

I am so excited to introduce Katina J. Rice to you this week as our Smarty Mom. She has lived in the Triad almost her whole life, with the exception of her college years at UNC-Chapel Hill. Katina and her husband Lonnie presently live in Kernersville with their daughters Aryonna (7) and Anaiya (almost 5). Katina works full-time as a Pharmacist for a Medicaid case management and consulting company called Partnership for Health Management. She works for a local retail chain about once a month, and she parties every weekend at My Party Palace Triad! This is a wonderful company that Smarty Mom, Katina, started herself! She is owner and operator at this premier place to host a party for little girls in the Triad. My Party Palace Triad has been open for two years. They host diva, princess and spa parties for girls of all ages. In addition to partying every weekend, they participate in a community charity event quarterly, which we will hear more about below.

Somehow, Katina finds even more time to give to others on top of the charity events at My Party Palace. She volunteers at The Summit Church, Caitlin's Closet, and has recently started a non-profit called A Princess Wish.

I am exhausted just writing about all that Katina does! Now let’s find out just how she does it!

How did you come up with the idea for My Party Palace?
I have planned weddings and social events since 1999. I was looking to expand my wedding consulting business (Joyful Occasions). One afternoon, I was watching Nicolodeon with my girls and on one of the shows, the little girl took her doll to a princess party! My girls just flipped! I immediately got online looking for places in the Triad that I could take my daughters to have a princess party and could not find anything. My mind went into full swing and I began to envision how I could add princess parties on to the wedding consulting! I also began to imagine how life-changing a princess party could be for girls all over the Triad. After doing quite a bit of research, I found a company online called My Party Palace. My Party Palace is a business opportunity out of Round Rock, Texas. After speaking with the CEO, Robin Duncan, I was hooked. My Party Palace embodied my concept: empowering girls through fun! My Party Palace also offered a basic framework for conducting business. I soon learned however that partying in the Triad is VERY different from partying in Texas!

Tell us more about the charity events that you have organized through your business.
After praying really hard about starting this business, I promised God that whatever I achieved with My Party Palace Triad would be for his glory and not mine. One way for me to live up to my word is to serve others. During our first quarter in business, we hosted a “Diva Party” for the young ladies in Hand 2 Hand. Hand 2 Hand is a non-profit group that encourages pregnant and teenage mothers via advocating for education and abstinence. I was ecstatic to provide manicures, pedicures, and black dresses for 12 young women! The most touching part was that I had requested that they write about what they wanted to become. As we announced each girl onto the stage, I read what they wrote. Not a dry eye was in the house. One young lady said that she was going to be the first in her family to finish high school! Another one said that she aspired to finish college and own her own home. WOW!

In October of our first year, we hosted “Breakfast with Cinderella” to benefit Cancer Services in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. At this event, twenty little princesses had the pleasure of having story-time, photos and breakfast with Cinderella! All of the proceeds were donated to Cancer Services! In the spring of 2008, My Party Palace sponsored the kids’ area during the March for Babies event in Winston-Salem. In September of 2008, we hosted an event called “Food for Forsyth Fairy Party” in conjunction with Chick-Fil-A in Kernersville. At this event, girls were able to enjoy story time with Tinkerbelle. We even provided them with tiaras and wings to take home. The only fee for the event was at least one non-perishable food item for each little fairy in attendance. After so much success with the first “Breakfast with Cinderella” event, I decided to go even bigger last year! In October of 2008, we hosted “Breakfast with the Princesses” at the Courtyard Marriott in Winston-Salem. We had over 65 people in attendance and the little ones this year got to visit with Cinderella, Belle, Tinkerbell, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. In March of this year, we will host a prom dress giveaway for underprivileged girls of the Triad through an organization called Caitlin’s Closet.

You have recently started a non-profit organization called A Princess Wish. Tell us more about it and how you help others through this organization.
A Princess Wish is an organization that hosts celebrations for girls who are facing medical or financial hardships. We provide the magic that happens every weekend at My Party Palace Triad by partnering with other organizations to help them celebrate, by hosting “free events” and by providing “scholarship spaces” to some of the monthly My Party Palace Triad events.

Obviously with a full-time job on top of running your own business, you must be constantly on the go. How do you still fit in quality time with your family?
I have had to learn the hard way! Put the "Crackberry" (aka "Blackberry") down! When I was first getting things off the ground, I was away from my family a lot. My husband was/is great! He pulled his weight and mine with the girls for a while. Let’s not even talk about house work—EEEEEK! Balance is the key! I had to sit down and determine what my “governing values” are and plan my days and weeks around what is MOST important not around what is urgent but really not important (a key concept from Franklin Covey).

I have a “time cube” that I set to complete my tasks for the day. I can be all over the place so I do everything in 15 minute intervals. I get my hardest tasks done first! I have also had to learn that not everything is going to get done. That is why it is essential to know what is TRULY important. I have not arrived! I am still striving. However, I am learning to be in the moment and enjoy the journey!

What Smarty Tips do you have for other working moms in your same position?
Don’t be afraid to dream, plan, strategize and then change your mind!
Determine your governing values! Take care of yourself! You are not doing your children any favors by putting yourself last! If Mama ain’t happy, nobody is happy!

What is your favorite family activity?
Playing the Wii!

Favorite “mommy-time” activity?
Getting a pedicure!

Best place to eat lunch with the kids?
Chick Fil-A

Favorite place to eat dinner out with the kids?
Cracker Barrel

Best place to get a good deal on kids’ clothes?
Kohls

Funniest thing your kid(s) has ever said?
My girls are true Divas, they talk so much, it is hard to say!

Favorite park in the Triad?
Triad Park

Mini-van or SUV?
SUV

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad?
Our wonderful climate and the friendly people!

Best kept secret in the Triad?
Are these trick questions---My Party Palace Triad (LOL)

Best birthday party you have attended.
My 30th birthday party! My hubby planned it all by himself (that was a big deal…I am the planner in the family)! All of my friends were there—good times!

I could not live without my... Blackberry

I wish someone had told me sooner about... Dave Ramsey—Financial Peace

As you can tell, Katina has brought so much goodness into the lives of others! You are truly an inspiration and we thank you for sharing so much about yourself with us today. To learn more about My Party Palace Triad, visit www.mypartypalacetriad.com or call (336)992-0146. Their next event will be a St. Patrick’s Day Tea with Tinkerbelle!

Thanks, Katina for all your Smarty answers!

We are always on the hunt for Smarty Moms. And while we've been featuring some moms who have done AMAZING things such as going above-and-beyond the call of duty for others, doing incredible work for her family, friends, or community, or has accomplished tremendous feats - we are also looking to feature moms in the Triad who just simply live the daily grit of motherhood! Please send us your "mominations" and feel free to nominate yourself (especially if you are a mompreneur with a great service or product to promote)! We look forward to hearing from you. Email us here with your “Smarty Momination”!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Katina, you really are a Smarty Mom. I am amazed at how much you give mot only to your family, but to the community. You are a great choice for this article.

Anonymous said...

I have heard wonderful things about My Party Palace! I may have to check out it for my daughter's birthday party this summer!
Ashley

Julie Ball said...

Wow, you rock, Katina! You do Kernersville - and momkind everywhere - really proud. I *almost* wish I had a daughter to bring to My Party Palace!

:) julie (Riley's mom from preschool)

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading about all these Smarty Moms on Saturdays. Katina, you are an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Thank you all so very much for your kind words! I love what I do! Thanks for the support! K-Vegas in the house!!!

Anonymous said...

I have known Katina for about 23 years and what you see here is just the tip of the iceberg. Not only is she a "Smarty Mom," she the best friend one could ever ask for. I am so glad she has My Party Palace Triad to share her gifts of love and peace with young girls and women of all ages. If you haven't been to an event at the Party Palace, don't miss the next one!!!!

ramonda_kyser said...

Katina is a phenomenal woman and I know this because she is one of my very best friends....dating back to 4th or 5th grade and dance class.

If you are interested in giving your princess the birthday of her life, where she can feel special, then you will want to have her party at My Party Palace. My husband and I had our daughter's 2nd birthday party there and she was overly excited and happy about dressing up, getting her nails painted and walking the runway!! LOL

Katina you are amazing!

Post a Comment