Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Smarty Mom: Ashley Stabolitis


By Rachel H

It is my pleasure to introduce to you a new Smarty Mom this week, Ashley Stabolitis. Ashley has lived in the Triad most of her life. She lived in Greensboro when she was a child, then moved to Kernersville, and now lives in Winston-Salem. She and her husband, George, have two children, John (age 5) and Victoria (age 3). Ashley works full time at Summit School as a 7th grade Math teacher. She goes above and beyond a teacher’s duties by volunteering with various organizations at the school and participating in their service projects. Her husband George is part owner of the Carriage House restaurant. Ashley and George have managed to work as a team to balance their full-time jobs, family time, volunteer services and time with friends. Ashley also squeezes in volunteer time at her church as well as serving as the President of the Parents’ Council at her daughter’s preschool. She also loves to help with the Greek Festival each May. During her down time, she also enjoys exercising, traveling, and reading.

Smarty Moms, meet Ashley …

Please share with us your best tips on balancing a full-time job and your “Mommy obligations."
Sometimes, I have to bring work home with me, but I put it to the side until the kids are asleep. When I leave work and pick up the kids, my job is to focus on them and give them what they need. For George and I, the most important thing is communication. Whenever we get so busy that we stop communicating and begin taking each other for granted, we have to take a step back and reassess our priorities. Working as a team to make sure our children are happy and feel loved is so important. We love our jobs, but our family comes first.

Tell us more about the Carriage House restaurant. Is it family-friendly?
It is extremely family-friendly. The Carriage House Restaurant has been open since 1969. Families have made it their tradition to eat there. It is very common to see 4 generations of family members enjoying a meal together. It has a wide selection on the menu, from chicken, beef, and fresh seafood, to salads, sandwiches, and Italian. There is really something for everyone. We still give a complimentary relish tray and cheese crock for dinner with a basket of crackers waiting on the table. There is a children’s menu also available. The Carriage House serves high quality food for a very reasonable price. The Carriage House website provides access to the menu.

Unfortunately Ashley and I share a commonality that our mothers are both battling Ovarian Cancer. Ashley, tell us more about your mom and what you have learned through this family struggle.
I have learned that my mom is an incredibly strong person. I have also learned that while sometimes life is not fair you have to find a way to manage what cards you are dealt. Before my mom got sick, I had little experience with our health care system. Until you have a loved one that needs medical assistance, you don’t really know how hard it is to care for them. I wish I had more resources to help take care of my mom. Her doctors are wonderful, but it is very hard to get adequate care helping her through chemo. There are tons of volunteer resources out there, but for the actual home health care it can get very costly. Helping mom to maintain her independence, but insuring she is probably taken care of has been extremely hard. I have a deep admiration for any person that becomes the primary care giver of a loved one. I also have a greater appreciation for - and I have fallen deeper in love with - my husband because of all the things he has so selflessly done to help her.

For those who have never been to this terrific event, please share details with us about the Greek Festival.
The Greek Festival takes place every May in Winston-Salem. This year it will be May 15 – 17th. It is a wonderful event not only full of Greek Dancing and delicious foods (souvlaki, moussaka, and baklava to name a few), but also arts and crafts, jewelry, and a guided tour of the church. There are games, face painting, crafts, and various other activities for the kids. Part of the proceeds from the event, benefit Brenner’s Children Hospital. In the last 16 plus years the church has donated over $180,000 to Brenner’s. This is truly a family affair.

Now onto the easy questions …

What is the best book you have read recently?
I am completely obsessed with the Twilight Saga. I just finished the 4th book in the series: Breaking Dawn. I read all 4 in less than a month because they were so good.

What is your favorite activity to do with your kids?
We love to have dance parties. After baths, we get into our pajamas and crank up the kids music channel and dance around together. John’s music teacher just recently told me how impressed she was with John’s ability to shake his hips.

Favorite place to get a good deal on kids clothes?
I love to shop at TJ Maxx and especially on Ebay to find great buys on both new and used clothes. I also resell a lot of my children’s clothes on Ebay. One of my favorite home clothing/catalog brands is Chez Ami; however, I try to not buy anything until they have their big outlet sale in Raleigh. I go there twice a year and buy a season ahead at half the price.

What is your favorite park in the Triad?
We don’t really go to a lot of parks, so I don’t have a favorite at the moment.

What is the funniest thing that either of your children have ever said to you.
Both John and Victoria make us laugh daily with the funny things that come out of their mouths. The other night my mother-in-law was sending home Krispy Kreme Doughnuts with the kids. I told her not to, because I would eat them and they would go straight to my “kolos” (Greek for behind). The next morning the kids were asking where the doughnuts were and Victoria asked if they were in my bottom.

What is your favorite restaurant that you go to as a family?
The Carriage House, of course. Actually on my husband’s night off that is not where we choose to go if we want him to spend time with us. We like to visit some other local family run restaurants such as East Coast Wings or the Hero House. We enjoy Saturday morning breakfast at either Duke’s Restaurant or Stratford Station. And of course, we love Mexican food so we frequent the various Mexican establishments as well.

Favorite “Mommy Time” activity?
Bedtime. We have a routine that works very well and I am able to get about 20 minutes of one-on-one time with each of my children. We read a couple of books, say prayers, and I still hold and rock each one for a few minutes before tucking them in bed.

The best birthday party you ever attended?
We took John to Disney for his 5th birthday last spring and it was the best way to celebrate this milestone birthday. I will always be thankful that we did that with him when he was still at the age to believe and experience the true magic of Disney.

You could not live without?
Metabolic Effect classes, they are the perfect solution to the busy mom with no time to work out.

I wish someone told me sooner about…
Harris Teeter Express Lane. Finding the time to grocery shop was always such a pain, but now I just place my order and drive through to pick it up after work.

You grew up in the Triad, and are now raising a family here. What is the best part about living in this area?
For us it is being close to our family. I never got to know my grandparents well and I am so thankful for all of the special times my children have with theirs.

Thanks, Ashley for all your Smarty answers!

We are always on the hunt for Smarty Moms. And while we've been featuring some moms who have done AMAZING things such as going above-and-beyond the call of duty for others, doing incredible work for her family, friends, or community, or has accomplished tremendous feats - we are also looking to feature moms in the Triad who just simply live the daily grit of motherhood! Please send us your "mominations" and feel free to nominate yourself (especially if you are a mompreneur with a great service or product to promote)! We look forward to hearing from you. Email us here with your “Smarty Momination”!

Remember Smarties, don't forget to register for our Mother of All Mother's Day Give-Aways! This promotion - worth $1,250 of all things wonderful for moms - ends at 11 pm on Friday, May 8. The winner will be announced on Mother's Day. To recap, we are giving away a $250 package from UpperCase Photography, along with 10 $100 gift certificates to the following FABULOUS Triad businesses: Dream Dinners, Emerywood Fine Foods, GoosiePie Monograms, Simply Sterling & Company, Nitsa’s Apparel (including Fashionista), Kim Taylor & Co., Young Chefs Academy, Emma Jane's Baby & Kids Specialty Shoppe, Balance Day Spa, and The Carriage House Restaurant!!

To register to win ALL of this,
please click here to complete a short survey, and you’ll be registered. Good luck, Smarties!!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

We are new to the area, so I am glad to hear about the Greek Festival. Sounds like fun. We'll have to give it a try.
Amanda

Paige said...

I enjoyed reading your answers. I'll be keeping your mom in my prayers.

Unknown said...

We love to have dance parties, too! We often use the music channels on TV that have a disco theme or dance party theme. I think it is great that the teacher commented on your son's dance moves. That is hilarious!

Anna said...

I totally devoured the Twilight series, as well--what a great diversion!

Kelly G. said...

If you cannot spend time at the Greek Festival, you can always stop by and get your food to go. It is really worth it. We look forward to Greek weekend all year at our house.

Dance parties are a big ritual at my house. I actually talked to the music teacher at my sons' preschool and got some music they like in class. After they got used to the weirdness of "worlds colliding," the school music became their favorite request.

april said...

Ashley is the person who recommended the Twilight series to me first and I am into the 3rd book now!

Another great interview, TSP.

Looking forward to some of that awesome food at the Greek Festival again this year. Hopefully it does not go to my “kolos”.

Post a Comment