Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Smarty Mom: Shannon Smith Priddy


By Rachel H

A few years ago I went to a deeee-lish Brunswick Stew party with a friend of mine and met this week’s Smarty Mom, Shannon. Back then, she was not yet a mom, but by her bubbly personality and fun spirit, I knew she’d be a Smarty as soon as she had kids.

Shannon and her husband Jon have two boys, Jake (2) and Sam (6 months). They presently live in Greensboro, but Shannon has lived in many different places including Boise, ID, Charleston, SC, and Clemson, SC. She was born in Sumter SC, and although she loves to travel, she is a true Carolina Girl. If Shannon looks familiar to you, it may be because she works full-time as the morning reporter for Fox 8 News. I am always amazed at the crazy ventures Shannon finds herself on in the mornings. No matter what, she’s always got a smiling face. How she puts on a smile that early in the morning when she has a toddler and seven-month old, we may never know, but let’s try and find out …

As a local celebrity, what is the most common question people ask when they meet you?
Because I work on the morning news, the first question people ask me is "What time do you get up?" I tell them around 3 or 3:30am. Immediately they ask, "Then what time do you go to bed?" We're on a pretty tight schedule at my house. My 7-month-old, Sam, goes to bed at 6:45. Then Jake, my 2-year-old, goes to bed at 7, and I get into bed at 8. I have no idea when my husband finally gets into the bed. Other than my routine, people are interested in my experiences. I covered American Idol in Hollywood in 2004 when Fantasia won, and then 2006 when Chris Daughtry was one of the stars of the show. They are both very nice people. I can't describe how weird it is watching someone you know become famous. I am very glad both are doing so well in the entertainment industry.

What are the best perks of working at Fox 8 News?
My job has a lot of perks. I love to cook and eat, so our Recipe Wednesday segments are some of my favorites. I get to meet some of the most talented chefs in the Triad and then I get to try their creations. My favorite is when we make anything chocolate. I meet so many interesting people on a daily basis. I've tried tricks with acrobats at the circus, met all the judges of American Idol, seen the President speak, and so much more. I believe life is all about experiences. I have had so many special moments because of my job.

What is your most memorable assignment for which you have reported?
That's too hard to narrow down. I have reported live during a hurricane. Oddly enough, that was a really cool experience. Of course, covering the red carpets at the American Idol finales is something I will never forget. I have met and interviewed a lot of celebrities. It's too difficult to pick one favorite assignment. I can tell you my least favorite: snow days. I do not like standing on the side of the road, freezing telling everyone in the Piedmont Triad not to drive.

With a full-time job that does not have typical hours, how are you able to manage family-time?
I am able to spend a lot of time with my family. I work from 4am to 1pm. I have all afternoon to spend with the kids. My husband gets home in the early afternoon and we all eat dinner together. Then we play with the kids, give them baths and put them to bed. Shortly afterwards, I go to bed. I don't have a lot of "me" time, but what mother does. I know my kids will be young for just a short time so I am glad I get to spend so much time with them.

Since you and Jon have different work schedules, how do you find time to spend together as a couple?
During the week, I go to bed at 8. There's not a lot of time for just the two of us. We try to have a date night at least once a month. Also, once a year we take a vacation, just the two of us. We cruised to the Caribbean for our honeymoon, and loved it. Our 6th anniversary is coming up at the end of May, and we're taking our 5th cruise to celebrate. The grandparents are keeping our children and we're taking five days to ourselves. I think it is so important for us to have that time together to foster our relationship.

What is your favorite family activity?
We love to spend time together outdoors. When the weather is nice in the afternoons, we all go for a walk around the neighborhood. We also enjoy going to the Greensboro Children's Museum and the Piedmont Triad Farmer's Market.

Favorite place to get a good deal on kids clothes?
Wee Runs Consignment Sale. It's a twice a year sale in High Point. I always find great deals on kid's clothes there.

Favorite “me-time” activity?
In the summer, I love to sit by the pool and read a book. I also like to shop, go to the movies and hang out with my girlfriends.

Best restaurant to eat with the kids?
We don't eat out with the kids all that often because they are still so small. Mi Pueblo Mexican restaurant in High Point is good because they are so fast. They also serve chips before so my 2 year old has something to snack on, and they have a fountain. It is a great distraction for the kids.

Funniest thing your kid(s) has ever said?
Jake is still learning to talk. He seems to say something funny every day. Right now, he can't say "no." So instead of saying no, he says "mo." He will look at me and say "Oh Mo, Mama!" It cracks me up every time.

Favorite park in the Triad?
The one closest to my house. It's great to throw the kid's in the double stroller and walk to the park.

Mini-van or SUV?
My husband's company car is a mini-van and we mostly drive it. I have a Honda Accord. If I had to choose, I would go with an SUV.

Best book you have recently read?
I just read the Twilight series. It was very addictive. I finished four books in just a few weeks. I ended up staying up way too late because I just had to know what happens. It's a fun series, but beware you will get sucked in, no pun intended.

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad?
For the most part, the weather is wonderful. We have four beautiful seasons here. We are very close to the mountains and the beach. I love the beach by the way. Most importantly, the people here are so warm and friendly. There are enough events and businesses for it to feel like a bigger city, but at the same time the people give it a small town charm.

Best kept secret in the Triad?
I don't know if it is a secret, but I love Toys N' Company toy store at the Friendly Center in Greensboro. They are a locally owned store with really unique toys. I have asked their advice about gifts often and they always suggest great ideas. They also have lots of toys out for the kids to play with. Jake can spend hours in there trying out all the toys.

Best kids birthday party you have attended?
Jake absolutely loved a party at The Little Gym in Greensboro. He had so much fun playing on the gymnastics equipment. We also enjoy birthday parties at the Greensboro Children's Museum.

I could not live without my...
Blackberry. It's a new purchase, and I absolutely love it. I am always on the go and it allows me to get so much work done when I am out in the field.

What’s the best advice you have received as a mom?
The best piece of parenting advice came from my grandmother. It is simply, "This too shall pass." No matter how bad or good the moment seems, it is fleeting. Enjoy the special moments as much as possible. And try not to let the bad ones get to you because they don't last forever either. Thank goodness!

Thanks, Shannon for all your Smarty answers!

We are always on the hunt for Smarty Moms. And while we've been featuring some moms who have done AMAZING things such as going above-and-beyond the call of duty for others, doing incredible work for her family, friends, or community, or has accomplished tremendous feats - we are also looking to feature moms in the Triad who just simply live the daily grit of motherhood! Please send us your "mominations" and feel free to nominate yourself (especially if you are a mompreneur with a great service or product to promote)! We look forward to hearing from you. Email us here with your “Smarty Momination”!

And Smarties, don't forget to check your email this morning to see if you are the lucky winner of our Mother of All Mother's Day Give-Aways! The winner will be announced this weekend!

6 comments:

Tracy said...

I am amazed at how organized you are able to keep your life when you wake up at 3:30am! Job well done, Smarty Mom!

BlueStormBeezus09 said...

I loved reading Shannon's smarty answers! What's the secret to getting kids to bed before 7pm?? That would be a treat at our house for sure!!

Julie said...

I am a loyal Fox 8 news watcher and was so excited to see you on here today! You and Cindy Farmer make me smile every morning. I am so jealous that you were able to become friends with Chris Daughtry. I think he is terrific!

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful when you are able to hear a mom talk about how much she truly loves her family AND her job! Your career does sound so interesting. Congratulations on being a Smaty Mom today, and Happy Mothers Day!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your Smarty Mom nomination. I really had fun reading your answers. Working for Fox 8 sounds like a blast!

Anonymous said...

We love Mi Pueblo as well! Any restaurant that has chips or bread on the table is perfect for kids! I have gotten over the fact that they will eat nothing else after the chips or bread. :0)

Post a Comment