Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Organic Baby Gift Ideas



By Dana D, Charlotte Smarty Pants

I love purchasing organic or green products for my friends who have new babies! I think this is a great way to use my buying power to increase awareness as well as eventually bring down the prices of organic products. I buy these baby gifts to introduce organic goods to some of my friends who are a lighter shade of green. I think everyone wants to do their part for the environment but some of us just aren’t aware of what is available. I wanted to give you all a few suggestions for green baby gifts if you have a new baby in your family or circle of friends. Of course, buy off their registry if that’s what they prefer but then stick one of these in there as well for a little surprise!

The Moby Wrap would be a wonderful gift if the new mom is considering a baby carrier. It is 100 % organic cotton and you can wear it 20 different ways! I have heard you can even put two babies in there if you had twins. Wow!

As far as clothing and blankets go, there are endless possibilities. I will mention a few but then lead you to a website that has more items for you to view. I would recommend the miYim organic infant gift set. It includes a burp cloth, rattle and plush toy. Very cute!

Next on my list is the Swaddle Design Organic Ultimate Receiving Blanket. This award winning blanket is made from 100% organic cotton and would be a great gift at $30!

Then check out Sckoon for their fabulous organic hooded towels, washcloths and the little rabbit dolls. Even the stuffing for the dolls is made from organic cotton. They also have precious baby caps and kimono type onesies!

For bath products, I would suggest Little Twig. You can go online and purchase one of their adorable gifts sets. The scents are divine! I personally like the tangerine but they also have lavender and unscented. Check out their washcloths and bath mits as well!

Last but not least I would go to Wild Dill for your one stop shopping. They have awesome cloth teethers, clothes, wooden toys and much more! There are some really cool items here so definitely check this out! I like the Speesees brand cloth teether and the Yellow Kids Vegetable Rattles. These are great for babies and then can be used for pretend play as they grow older.If I am buying new I try to always go for wood or organic cotton toys to limit the amount of plastic exposure in our household. These timeless wooden toys called Pastel Toys would be a great gift that could be passed down for generations. They are made with lead-free, water-based paint.

Obviously, I could go on and on! But don't forget the BPA free bottles or glass bottles that we did a post on it a few months ago. There are several brands now but Born Free is available online as well as at your local Babies R Us.

Let us know if you have other suggestions or recommendations!

7 comments:

BlueStormBeezus09 said...

These are great ideas :) Does anyone have a suggestion for a good DEET free bug repellant? I got one at Babies R Us a few years ago (Natrapel plus), but I just didn't think it kept the mosquitoes away and it smelled HORRIBLE.
Thanks for all the "greener" suggestions for our little ones.

summersolstice2008 said...

I LOVE my Moby Wrap! My daughter is 11 months and over 20 pounds and I can carry her everywhere with zero back pain or discomfort. My only regret is waiting until she was 4 months old to purchase one.

Patti said...

There is a deet-free bug repelent for babies that we like by Gentle Naturals. I have ordered it online, but I am sure the website will list places in the Triad that also sell their products.

BlueStormBeezus09 said...

Thank you Patti. I will research it online and order some. We've already been dealing with bug bites and it's only May!!

Dana said...

Unfortunately, I haven't found a great natural bug spray. I haven't used the Gentle Naturals as mentioned in the above comment so that is definitely worth a try. California Baby has a sunscreen and bug repellent combo. I have used certain incense sticks from Earth Fare and we used a garlic based spray in our yard last year that helped but not eliminated by any means. Mosquito Squad has an organic/garlic based spray that you can have applied to your yard as well. It has definitely been a battle for us. Good luck!

BRENT KRUEGER said...

Love, love, love your ideas and links!! Most of these little gifts can be modified for

the holidays too with the substitution of red and green for the ribbons and other

trimmings.

Thanks for sharing!

nyca said...

Are these available in Australia? I would love to have these for my little boy! :)

Post a Comment