Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Smarty Mom: Gina Pruette


By Katie M

Happy Smarty Mom Saturday! Today I am excited to introduce Gina Pruette. Gina moved to the Triad in 1997 after graduating from college (University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA) to be with her then-future husband Andrew. They were later married in the Triad in 2001, and then moved to Portland, ME for nine months for career reasons, and then returned to the Triad in 2002 where they’ve lived ever since. Together, they have a daughter, Stella, who just turned two.

Gina is a full-time mom who works part time as a visual artist. Besides having Stella, she says her greatest accomplishment has been building an art career while being a full-time parent. “Although I work out of my studio at home, it’s an incredible challenge to balance full-time parenting with painting, both physically and mentally. But I decided that if I could start a career while juggling a toddler, it could only get easier,” she said.

So let’s get to know Gina…

Gina began exhibiting and selling her work last spring. It was a huge step for her because she had been painting for decades but had not made the move to exhibit my art until then. Stella’s arrival was the inspiration she needed to launch her career. Last year Gina started painting “portraits” of Stella’s block constructions. When Stella was very little Gina would build towers to entice her to crawl or walk and knock them down. Then Gina started dreaming up other creations and painting them. “Objects tell so many stories about us and bind us together as a culture, establishing our rich legacy for future interpretation. Blocks, balls, and toys…these objects are as material to our collective human story as any of our more sophisticated creations,” Gina said.

Gina’s instruction in oil painting began with her late grandmother - a master landscape and still-life painter, in the early 1990s - as well as summer courses in life drawing and graphic design at the Austin Museum of Art. During college she completed courses in art history and film and was employed at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Philadelphia as a work-study student learning about art museum operations and exhibitions. In addition, she worked as a graphic and digital artist for MASCA, the research lab at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Anthropology and Archaeology. While living in Portland, Maine in 2001, she completed additional coursework in oil and acrylic painting at the Maine College of Art.

She has posted photos and notes about her Block Series paintings in her blog, Stacked Life, at www.ginapruette.com.

When away from Stella and her studio, Gina volunteers with local non-profit art organizations, including the Associated Artists of Winston-Salem (AAWS). She is a member of AAWS and enjoys participating in their exhibitions, events, and advocacy opportunities. This past spring she also joined the Community Exhibition committee where she supports exhibition opportunities for members while increasing art awareness in Winston-Salem. Gina also volunteers at her church, St. Paul’s Episcopal, and at the church’s preschool (where Stella attends). Other interests include tennis - she plays on a team in the USTA league in Winston-Salem, swimming, long walks, knitting (don’t laugh, she says!), and reading books any chance she can gets.

Gina’s art work is on display at Vincenzo’s Italian Restaurant on Robinhood Road (WS) during this June and July.

With all that you do, how do you balance your work and home life?
For me the distinction between work and home is as much mental as physical. I can physically remove myself from one, but I can’t commit myself to the other unless my mind is in the right place. Mostly I work when I have time off from being a mom: naps, preschool, evenings, weekly grandparent visits, and my favorite: Daddy’s Saturday Morning Adventures with Stella. Nearly every Saturday morning my husband, Andrew, organizes a Daddy-and-me adventure with Stella…bagels with friends, shopping, exploring, parks…he’s very creative! It’s a Pruette family tradition, since Andrew used to do the same thing with his father growing up. I know that Stella’s having fun, Andrew is getting some special one-on-one time with his daughter, and I can get some quality time for painting in my studio. All of these things have given me the time I need to become a working artist.

What Smarty tips do you have for moms in your position?
Don’t feel guilty if you have a career or avocation outside of being a parent. Celebrate the positive impact your professional life can have on your children.

Ok, on to some less serious questions…

Favorite place to get a good deal on kids clothes?
I’m not really impressive on the bargain-hunting front, since I don’t much like crowds and endless racks of clothes. My favorite deals? Gifts from grandparents! I also like shopping the outlets at Myrtle Beach and finding sales at the local children’s shops.

What is your favorite family activity?
The Pruette Family Group Hug. Every night after bath Stella runs buck-naked into her room and starts screaming, “HUG!!!” My husband and I know this is our cue to stand with open arms as Stella crashes into us - her reward for another incredible toddler day.

Favorite “mommy-time” activity?
Painting. And I love to veg out watching endless reruns of The Office.

Best place to eat lunch with the kids?
La Carreta on Peace Haven Rd (WS). The atmosphere and food is very kid-friendly, and the staff seems to genuinely like children.

Favorite place to eat dinner out with the kids?
I’ve had several nice experiences at River Birch Lodge, lately. It has a grown-up atmosphere, but it’s also very kid-friendly.

Funniest thing your daughter has ever said?
Well, funniest and sweetest…one day after I sneezed my husband said, “Bless you, Mommy!” in front of Stella. Now whenever she hears anybody sneeze she says, “Bless you, Mommy!” It’s so cute, and I must admit I don’t mind the extra blessings!

Favorite park in the Triad?
Tanglewood. Stella and I love to watch the horses and run like maniacs across the open fields.

Mini-van or SUV?
SUV.

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad?
There are lots of things to do as a family in the Triad without the headaches of a larger city. Also, I’m thrilled about our area’s growing commitment to the arts. It inspires me to work harder as an artist, and it’s a legacy that will nurture creativity in our children for years to come.

Best kept secret in the Triad?
The monthly First Friday Gallery Hops in Winston-Salem. In some cities you don’t see many children at this sort of event, but in Winston-Salem the Hops attract entire families. It’s lots of fun for kids as well as adults.

Best birthday party you have attended?
The small casual ones at home are my favorites.

I could not live without my...
Macbook!

I wish someone had told me sooner about...
The Yadkin Valley wineries. What a treasure only minutes away! My husband and I had a great time touring wineries on Valentine’s Day this year and look forward to taking Stella to some of the festivals this summer.

Thanks, Gina, for all your Smarty answers!

We are always on the hunt for Smarty Moms. And while we've been featuring some moms who have done AMAZING things such as going above-and-beyond the call of duty for others, doing incredible work for her family, friends, or community, or has accomplished tremendous feats - we are also looking to feature moms in the Triad who just simply live the daily grit of motherhood! Please send us your "mominations" and feel free to nominate yourself (especially if you are a mompreneur with a great service or product to promote)! We look forward to hearing from you. Email us here with your “Smarty Momination”!

8 comments:

jo said...

Your artwork is so unique! I think the cover on your book is my favorite from the ones I saw on your blog. Nice work balancing mommyhood and keeping your art career going!

Gina Pruette said...

Thanks! I love the challenge of pursuing a creative life in the midst of my little "TT" (toddler tornado)! Stella's curiosity and determination are perpetual inspiration for me.

Also, I'm glad you enjoy my work and especially the painting featured on the cover of my book. It's called "Lineup" and is one of my favorite pieces, too. :D

David said...

Great interview, Gina. Well done.

David

Katie said...

Love the idea of Daddy Time on Saturday mornings. Special for dad, and nice for mom as well!

melissa said...

Your art work is beautiful! I would love to see more! I am so happy know your talents! Love the daddy time tradition.

Unknown said...

Awesome interview! I also love shopping at the outlets. L8R.

Down Home DIY said...

Congrats on your book and your art is so cool and unique. Love it!

Gina Pruette said...

Saturday morning adventures with Daddy are the best! :D My husband loves getting to anticipate and plan their special time together, and I love the break!

Thanks to all the Smarty Pants readers who have checked out my blog! I encourage anyone who has enjoyed the block paintings I've posted on www.ginapruette.com to check them out in person. I use lots of texture and layering techniques in my art that are hard to discern over a computer screen. Some of my paintings are up at Vincenzo's (Winston-Salem) and the Associated Artists gallery (W-S) right now, and I'll have more work going up at Diamondback Grill (W-S) in August.

Post a Comment