Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Smarty Mom: Jayna Patterson


By Rachel H

The Pattersons are one of my favorite families in the whole world! So needless to say, I am thrilled to introduce Jayna to you as this week’s Smarty Mom. Jayna and I both attended college together, but didn’t know each other back then. Luckily, our husbands were friends from college, and when we moved to the Triad, they brought us together. It was a two year stretch of parties for us young folks with no kids, and then the babies started being born! I am happy to say that our children are now BFF’s and get along so well!

Jayna and her husband, Brook, live in High Point with their two boys, Myles and Nolan. They have been in the Triad for about eight years. Jayna works full-time as an Elementary Resource Teacher at Hopewell Elementary in Trinity, NC. I am always amazed at her ability to manage her household in such an organized way while juggling her job and children. Brook and Jayna renovated their home when their oldest was just two years old, and they still stayed sane. Jayna’s favorite things to do are clean (crazy woman!), organize, and spend time with family and friends.

Let’s find out more about Jayna …

Please share with us how you are able to run your household while working full-time and always stay so calm! My children both attend school where I work (which is great!) so sometimes it is hard to “get away” after school. I often try to run my errands (those that involve getting out of the car) after school and then go back and pick up the kids before I head home- or have my husband do it. It is so hard to go to a grocery store with two (growing) boys and actually think. I also TRY and plan my meals for the week ahead of time so that I know what’s for dinner each night. My boys are always STARVING (as my six year old says) by 5:30. If something is not in the works- I am in trouble. I use my crock pot quite a bit in order to have our dinner ready.

What Smarty tips do you have for moms/dads in your position? ROUTINE, ROUTINE, ROUTINE! Sometimes it gets very monotonous, but everyone knows what to expect each day. Weekends are much more relaxed for us. Some Saturdays we stay in our PJs until lunch! I like that and so do they. I look forward to summer because I can be with my kids. My husband’s schedule is flexible in the summer- so we have fun traveling to the coast and visiting with friends and family.

Your son, Myles, had the opportunity to participate in a Spanish Immersion Program this year at Hopewell Elementary. Please tell us more about this.
Myles just finished up his Kindergarten year, where they offer a Spanish Immersion class. It is the only school in Randolph County that offers this program. The program is supported by Splash! out of Chapel Hill, NC. The program “immerses” the students with a foreign language. The students learn the North Carolina core curriculum while becoming proficient in reading, writing, speaking and understanding both Spanish and English. Spanish language immersion programs serve English speaking students. The students receive 90% of their instruction in Spanish so they can gain the fluency necessary to do core academic work in Spanish. You can get more information about the program from their website at: www.splashimmersion.com

I know you were a little skeptical going in to the program considering no one in your family speaks Spanish. How did you feel about his year?
Myles had a wonderful year. I was nervous at first, wondering if he would become overwhelmed and dislike being in the program. Myles loved the challenge and is now reading, speaking and writing in Spanish. It has truly amazed my husband and me. He is reading on a mid-first grade level in both Spanish and English. We read with him in English at home, because all of his instruction in school is in Spanish. Some have asked me, “How do you help him with his homework?” In kindergarten, the homework assignments were easy to understand (and they sent a translation sheet), but next year, he will be able to translate any assignments!

Would I say it is for every child? Of course not. It may not even be the right thing for our youngest when he gets to Kindergarten. I think you have to look at each child and determine if it is a challenge they would benefit from.

Favorite place to get a good deal on kids clothes? On-line shopping. Sierra Trading Post has great deals for both kids and adults on outdoor gear. Target sale racks.

What is your favorite family activity? Dinners out, taking walks in our neighborhood and feeding the ducks, Dance parties with the family!

Favorite “mommy-time” activity? Netflix after the kids go to bed.

Best place to eat lunch with the kids? Chick-Fil-A, Barberritos

Favorite place to eat dinner out with the kids? Mexican!! Instant food! Pancho Villas off South Main in High Point. Also, Carter Brother’s BBQ. Kids eat for $1 on Wednesdays!

Funniest thing your kid(s) has ever said? Oh, there are so many. One quote my 5 year old said is “I am so “flusterated.”

Favorite park in the Triad? Triangle Park, High Point NC.

Mini-van or SUV? Mini-van- with automatic doors (a must!)

Best thing about raising a family in the Triad? Wonderful people and it is so close to both the mountains and beach!

Best kept secret in the Triad? Davidson County- great place to live, low taxes and good public schools. Also, Hartley Family YMCA. With their family membership you also get access to Oakview Pool in the summer! Great deal for $80/month.

Best birthday party you have attended? My son had a skating party at Carousel Skating Rink on S. Main in High Point when he turned 5. He was able to invite up to 30 kids for a great price. Both the adults and kids had a blast.

I could not live without my... husband or washer/dryer.

I wish someone had told me sooner about... All the energy I would lose after having kids- but well worth it.

Thanks, Jayna for all your Smarty wisdom!

Please email us at triadsmartypants@gmail.com if you know a Smarty Mom or Dad who you would like to see featured on Triad Smarty Pants!

6 comments:

CDH said...

We love Pancho Villas!
Enjoyed reading your answers.
CDH

Kim said...

I had never heard about the Spanish Immersion program. I think it is wonderful and will benefit your son so much in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

We are new to the High Point area and I am looking forward to checking out some of the places you mentioned. Especially Triangle Park in the mornings before it gets too hot.
I enjoyed reading your Smarty Mom interview!

A. Beveridge said...

Jayna, you are the greatest! I am always impressed with how you managed everything--kids, full time job and family. You always make it look so easy.

Anonymous said...

Jayna truly is a terrific mom and friend! Congrats on your Smarty Mom nomination!

doshimaitri said...

As you said your child is being Spanish immersion from their kindergarden , it is a very fantastic thing. As the children grasp's the new things very easily. Again immersion programs are also very useful to them future, suppose you might shift to any other place so if the childrens new more languages it would be more comfortable for them to adjust there.

Post a Comment