Follow TSP on Facebook
Follow TSP on Twitter

Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2009

What's On Your Ipod?


By Katie M

As much as I love to go on a run, I can't stand to do it without my Ipod. I am literally at a loss! I've been running regularly since college and I have no idea how I ever managed to go longer than 5 minutes without becoming completely bored! And, I've actually run a marathon and other long races when all I had to listen to (besides some cheering from the crowds, if there was any), was the sound of my feet hitting the pavement and my labored breathing. Not fun!

My husband got me an Ipod about four years ago and I've been hooked ever since (of course not with that same Ipod - that died years ago). But every spring and summer I get in the same rut of listening to the same tunes over and over. The songs that used to pump me up seemed to have lost their zest. And when that happens, so does my running routine.

So I am turning to you, Smarty readers, to share your tunes! Below is a list of some of my usual songs to run to. Don't laugh - but yes - it's a total mismatch of songs and it shows how much I love my 80s tunes! But maybe there are some songs on this list that you forgot about. It seems I am always looking for new songs, and when I get on ITunes, I always forget the song title or artist. (Stay tuned for another post on how to keep your ITunes list current if you too forget song titles and artists!).

Here's my song list:
Viva la Vida, by Coldplay
Fire Woman, by The Cult
What's Up?, by 4 Non Blondes
Lunatic Fringe, by Red Rider
Breakup Song, by Greg Kihn
Crazy, by Gnarls Barkley
Livin' on a Prayer, by Bon Jovi
Jesses Girl, by Rick Springfield
Toxic, by Britney Spears
Me Against the Music, by Britney Speas
Since U Been Gone, by Kelly Clarkson
I Will Survive, by Cake
What Are You Waiting For, by Gwen Stefani
Hey There Delilah, by Plain White T's
Run Away, by Bon Jovi
Fergalicious, by Fergie
Family Affair, by Mary J. Blige
I Ran, by A Flock of Seagulls
Burning Down the House, by Talking Heads
Solsbury Hill, by Peter Gabriel
Sister Surround, by Soundtrack of Our Lives
Beautiful Day, by U2
Fire on the Mountain, by the Grateful Dead
America, by Neil Diamond
Wanna Be Starting Something, by Michael Jackson

Help! I need some new inpiration, can't you tell!?! Please add some of your favorite exercise tunes below!

Don't forget to log on to Triad Smarty Pants on Monday to find out which lucky Smarty won the 1/2 day camp slot at the Sawtooth School for Visual Art!

6 comments:

Rachel H said...

I am the person who hears a new song, plays it over and over again and then finds a new one to wear out. So needless to say, Top 40 is my choice when it comes to exercising tunes! Currently, the five songs that I am playing over and over again to keep me moving on the elliptical machine are Lady Gaga - Poker Face & Just Dance, Britney Spears - Circus, Pink - Sober, and Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow. There are a few other artists whose songs always keep me going when I am exercising - Missy Elliot, Kelly Clarkson, Ciara, Beastie Boys, Flo-rida, Timbaland, Danity Kane, Hillary Duff (yes, I am serious) and Justin Timberlake. Then I switch to my slower, all time faves like Dave Matthews, Madonna, Deanna Carter, Toad the Wet Sproket, etc, if I decide to do weights. Music is so important to me while I am exercising, because if there is no Ipod, there is usually no exercising! :)

Charlotte Smarty Pants said...

My new fave band is Vampire Weekend - check them out, rocks the house!!

clarissa said...

Rachel H, I love that you said Hilary Duff! I always jam out to that song "With Love". I am a Top 40 girl myself when it comes to running tunes. Chillin out tunes of course brings on a whole different genre!

Allison T said...

Rachel - I do the exact same thing with my favorite songs. It drives my husband crazy that one day I love a song and the next day I am over it. :) My shuffle currently has Maroon 5, Pink, O.A.R, DMB, Carolina Liar, Bon Jovi, The Fray, and my new favorite song is Lucky by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat.

Toad the Wet Sprocket...I used to love them in high school. Thanks for the reminder and bringing back memories!

BlueStormBeezus09 said...

I don't run, and rarely exercise, but I love a good tune when cleaning the house (which is an all day/all week endeavor). I love the BeeGees, DMB, Black Eyed Peas, Beyonce (esp. Single Ladies - how can you NOT dance to that), Vertical Horizon (the old school VH), David Wilcox, Dixie Chicks, Fergie, and with the kids, and sometimes without ;) - Laurie Berkner.

Anonymous said...

A favorite speed workout song is Motley Crue's Kickstart my Heart - great cadence for going fast. Even for long runs, the music must have a good beat - can't be slow stuff. Other favs include Beastie Boys, Blink 182, REM, Green Day, GNR, Kid Rock, Metallica, and really anything my husband loads onto my MP3 player (he knows all the Top 40 stuff, since he gets to drive kid-free all the time and listen to that kind of music in the car!)

Post a Comment